FORUMS: list search recent posts

using free version w old graphics card

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
edwin gendron
using free version w old graphics card
on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:30:06 pm

hi,
so as the subject line says, im using resove with an imac. Graphics card is radeon HD 6770 - 512mb.
does anyone know if this will prevent me from using any color correction features?
I know its not recommended but will it work in practice?
thank you

PS can the free version be used to Uprez footage effectively?

Return to posts index

Laurent Fluttert
Re: using free version w old graphics card
on Jun 17, 2016 at 1:25:23 pm

Hi Edwin,
If Resolve works on your iMac, you will be able to use all the features that are in the software. Maybe it's a bit slow, but that's it.
The free version basically has everything the payed for version has, except for noise reduction and the ability to go beyond 4K. I think there are some more differences, but nothing big.

Laurent

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: using free version w old graphics card
on Jun 17, 2016 at 3:20:05 pm

[Laurent Fluttert] "there are some more differences, but nothing big."

Because its an AMD GPU, you will not be accessing any of the leveraged CUDA media processing (but it won't be the impediment that it would be to older nVidia cards that do not support CUDA2.0).

The other small caveat to the basic edition is that there are some packaged OFX plugins that require the Studio level application -- not only the BMD originated ones but some other third-party suppliers' FX require multiple-frame access, which *entry-level* cannot supply. Very prominent example would be the Mocha-enabled Pixel Chooser that accompanies the Boris Continuum.

An interesting proposition might be ownership of a Mocha license -- perform and export your own tracking data and try to import that into the Resolve Boris plugin... don't know if that is possible. I think you can go the other way. This might seem faintly ridiculous from a cost/benefit perspective when it might be cheaper and more beneficial/efficient to simply own a Resolve license and buy the OFX component that you want. Then you have the whole orchestra under one roof, which is increasingly the whole aim of the *Resolve Evolution*. Which might be the new name for Resolve 14. What do you think, Peter?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]