FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve Online Edit FluidSpeed

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Koerkemeier
Resolve Online Edit FluidSpeed
on Jun 14, 2016 at 9:51:28 pm

Hello all,
I am trying to do our online edits using Resolve instead of Avid. The offline edits are done in Media Composer and we receive a bin and EDL. My current method right now is to open the bin re-link the media and export an AAF which I bring into Resolve.

This all works great except for the FluidSpeeds and Speed Ramp effects. They do carry over but they always have a duplicated frame at the end and the percentage that they import at are not even numbers like the are in Avid. For example, a FluidSpeed set to 120% may import into Resolve at 117.58% and the last frame will be a duplicate of the next frame that is at normal speed. The clips have cuts in them where the speed ramp starts and stops which is why there are duplicate frames.

Has anyone else run into this issue or know of a possible solution. Some of the edits we receive have 20+ speed ramps and manually fixing them would cost us a lot of time and we would just stick with Avid.

Thanks,
-Lars

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolve Online Edit FluidSpeed
on Jun 15, 2016 at 2:09:19 am

That's correct: as far as I know, speed transitions generally do not translate between any editing programs. That includes Avid, Premiere, Final Cut Pro, and Resolve. You have to either export a transcoded file with the speed change baked in, or you have to manually recreate the speed change by comparing it to a reference video.

I have seen repositions (even dynamic repositions) translate fairly closely, but not always.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:43:19 pm

Why not export an AAF from Avid straight into Resolve and see if things translate more accurately. You are creating an extra step by going via EDL to then make an AAF where lots of things may go missing or mistranslate

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:15:52 am

Even with an AAF, speed ramps do not translate correctly. For me, it's been hit and miss on speed changes overall, but I have seen it work on occasion. Repositions can work perfectly provided they're editing in the same resolution as the Resolve timeline settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]