FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference in clips when viewed in Davinci Resolve (12.5)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Hong
Difference in clips when viewed in Davinci Resolve (12.5)
on Jun 14, 2016 at 9:44:02 pm

Does anyone know why I am unable to view/import clips into Davinci as they would normally appear outside, and if there's anything I can do or should know to change this (if it is of any consequence at all)? I'm terribly sorry, I'm quite new to this.

I initially tried exporting an XML sequence from Premiere Pro (which displayed my files consistently), but only until it got imported into Davinci. Then I tried just pulling single clips directly from the folder into the media pool, but the results were the same.

Attached is a screenshot of the difference:

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Difference in clips when viewed in Davinci Resolve (12.5)
on Jun 15, 2016 at 4:31:50 am

They're being re-scaled or the aspect ratio is being adjusted?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:34:35 pm

Your QT window is simply bigger than the viewing window in Resolve.

Is this a joke question? :-/

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 15, 2016 at 2:24:40 pm

I think he is referring to the differences in brightness/contrast between the two images.

Julian, as has been posted here hundreds of times, you cannot trust quicktime player, being viewed on a computer screen as your final output. You can't trust the resolve viewer either, but it is probably closer.

If you want to trust what you are seeing you need to get a good, accurate, reference monitor and an IO box that can feed it.

Every computer monitor and TV set that views your image will display it differently. It is up to you to make sure it started in a controlled and calibrated environment, so when someone tells you the blacks are crushed, or the colors are over saturated, or washed out, you can in total confidence say "your monitor is not setup correctly" (or "quit looking at it in quicktime" :))

Glenn

Return to posts index

Julian Hong
on Jun 17, 2016 at 7:18:35 am

Hey Glenn, right as rain! It was the visual representation I was referring to haha, apologies if I wasn't clear enough on that. Will be wary of Quicktime from now on ;) Before that I had been trying hard to find a specific instance of my problem, but alas it was apparently so basic I couldn't find any. As for the monitor and IO box and all that... I've to confess I'm really just a dilettante.

Anyway, a million thanks for pointing that out! It helped me get through my dilettante activities in no small part :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]