FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advantages of Breakout Box?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam broggs
Advantages of Breakout Box?
on Jun 12, 2016 at 5:45:28 pm

Hi,
im new here, so sorry for my stupid question.
I am editing on a Macbook Pro for Broadcast and connect an external monitor via HDMI-out directly to the macbook.
I am able to calibrate the monitor via colormunki display and use it with Premiere and Avid to monitor my material.
When Editing with Avid, I can set the color space to REC709 - the monitor has 99 Percent sRGB - so it should be perfect for broadcast use.
In Europe I am using PAL with 25p or 50i.

Now I am thinking to switch to Davinci Resolve - so I will need a Breakout Box.
I just want to know: Is a box like the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Monitor just useful for Davinci Resolve or do I have any advantages while editing with Avid or Premiere?
Is editing, monitoring or rendering faster?
Is color correction more accurate?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Advantages of Breakout Box?
on Jun 14, 2016 at 1:30:32 am

[sam broggs] "I am able to calibrate the monitor via colormunki display and use it with Premiere and Avid to monitor my material."

That is a COMPUTER DISPLAY SIGNAL that is being sent out of the computer, not a proper video signal...REV709 or no. It's CLOSE... It's fine for a client monitor, to have a big screen to look at the image full screen. But it isn't completely color accurate. With the Avid software, it's closer than not...

[sam broggs] "so it should be perfect for broadcast use.
In Europe I am using PAL with 25p or 50i."

As I stated, it won't display interlacing properly, so 50i won't show both fields, only one. Computer signals don't do interlacing.

[sam broggs] "I just want to know: Is a box like the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Monitor just useful for Davinci Resolve or do I have any advantages while editing with Avid or Premiere?"

It's useful in all three. You get a proper video signal out of all NLE's with that. Interlacing and all.

[sam broggs] "Is editing, monitoring or rendering faster? "

Nothing is boosted, in terms of video processing or rendering. The IO boxes only add proper external video monitoring.

[sam broggs] "Is color correction more accurate?"

Yes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

sam broggs
Re: Advantages of Breakout Box?
on Jun 14, 2016 at 11:13:13 am

Thanks Shane!
Can you tell me: Is it still possible to calibrate the monitor with hardware like colormunki or spyder?
They manipulate the settings in the color management of my apple monitors.. so is it still possible with a breakout box?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]