FORUMS: list search recent posts

using multiple GPUS with Asus X99 Deluxe

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
samer mahmoud
using multiple GPUS with Asus X99 Deluxe
on Jun 11, 2016 at 5:13:52 am

hi, instead of getting a cubix to install 2 GTX titan 6GB in to boost things up for davinci resolve on my old MacPro early 2009, im thinking to get the Asus X99 Deluxe. in its specs page. i read that you can install 3 GPUs with speed 16x 16x 8x

would davinci work fine if i used the 2 pcie slots with 16x for the 2 GTX Titan i have for image processing. and installed another gtx in the 8x slot for GUI?

anyone tried that? would it work fine when it comes to noise reducion?

thanks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: using multiple GPUS with Asus X99 Deluxe
on Jun 11, 2016 at 8:26:34 pm

Regardless of the manufacturer of the board, you have to make sure you have enough slots for other cards as well.

That is where the Cubix shines.
My z820 has a Kona3, a thunderbolt card, a Blackmagic Card, a Quadro k4000 , an esata card and a cubix card.

Also be very careful when reading the specs. Many mother boards are 16x on this slot, as long as that slot doesn't have a card in it, or that card doesn't have a 16 x card in it. you need to carefully map out your cards, ensure they will all work together, (and don't take up 2 slots)

You may need 2 Cpus to get the full bandwidth on all the slots as well (if the board has that ability)

Other cards will only work in specific slots, and Blackmagic has its own recommended slot configurations.

Glenn

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:25:18 pm

Both Windows and Mac versions of Resolve are limited to two GPUs... If you want to use more GPUs you'll have to switch to the Linux version of Resolve. At least that used to be the case...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:49:53 pm

2 plus 1 for your gui. (studio version)

I dont think that has changed in 12.5

Glenn

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Jun 14, 2016 at 8:02:30 am

from osx 10.9.2 there is a 2 nvidia gpu limit till then its 4 on yosemite, isn't it? resolve limits the gpus to four or five (regardless of osx or win?) if i remember correctly?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 14, 2016 at 1:56:49 pm

Not sure about Mac. I run windows. I have 2 +1 for gui. Seems to me i had a discussion a year or two back with Peter where the question was if the gpu limit number included the gui card...whether ir not you used it for compute (if that is still an option). The answer was that number is for the total number if cards in your box. For windows i thought it was 3.

Glenn

Return to posts index

samer mahmoud
on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:51:00 pm

hey Glenn, may i ask what setup you have? board,cpu, gpus... thanks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:24:50 pm

Im running a dual processor z820.
Win7
32 gigs ram
Avid DS 11
Media composer 8.5
Resolve Studio
Fusion Studio
Kona 3
Decklink 4k
K4000 for gui
Cubix with 2 gtx 770s
Thunderbolt 2 card
Several different raid setups for storage.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Jun 19, 2016 at 3:13:42 pm

peter, or someone else from bmd, can you clarify how many gpus are supported in dr12.5?
windows and osx?

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jun 22, 2016 at 8:08:43 pm

It doesn't really work with that motherboard to have 3 GPUs, as you'll need one slot for Decklink card. With X99-E WS it's theoretically possible, but practically not really. But 2 Titans is possible, just forget the GUI card. Or, have just one Titan/GTX 1080 and another card for GUI.

Return to posts index

samer mahmoud
on Jun 23, 2016 at 4:50:46 am

you mean use the 2 titan i have with deluxe? or with the X99 E MB? cause as i noticed it could be the best option since it has 4 PCIE runing at x16

maybe 2 titan is good option since i already have them , and i dont think i need more for 2k workflow, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]