FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow with sRGB footage

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duca Simone Luchini
Workflow with sRGB footage
on Jan 27, 2016 at 3:38:12 pm

Hallo everybody,
I read on "Color Correction Handbook" by Van Hurkman that would be great work in Davinci with video (or) sequences in Log, as color space. It it true?

If I import in Davinci a sequence as TGA(sRGB), for example, or openEXR(Linear), it changes automatically this footage in Log (so nothing to do)?

Essentially, my problem is to uniform these different issues:

I shot in [b]sRGB [/b]my personal works a Canon 60D (H.264 - sRGB) and Panasonic 151 (sRBG AVCHD)...

I use Premiere Pro as NLE.

But I work in [b]Linear[/b] work space in my 3d application (C4D, Maya) and Compositing sw as After Effects and Nuke.

Now comes Davinci which work in Log...

So, essentially, in which format have I to import my video or Sequences in Davinci? Or it doesn't matter cause Davinci work converting (internally?) any imported footage in Log and work in this color space?
And only to the end, when we have to export from Davinci, we can choose which format (and color space...) to export your output?

Anyway, my idea fro a best workflow with this material would be:

1 - Convert sRGB Footage in Pro Res,
2 - Import in Davinci for a Primary CC
3 - Export Sequence (TGA? or what sequence format do you suggest?) for After Effect and/or Nuke.
4 - Re Import Sequence in Davinci for Grading
5 - Export final format (for me Prop Res would be great to work in Premiere Pro).

Something is wrong? :?

Sorry, I'm very confused? :(

Many thanks for a reply!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Workflow with sRGB footage
on Jan 28, 2016 at 5:06:58 am

[Duca Simone Luchini] "I read on "Color Correction Handbook" by Van Hurkman that would be great work in Davinci with video (or) sequences in Log, as color space. It it true?"

Depends on your own workflow. It isn't required.

[Duca Simone Luchini] "If I import in Davinci a sequence as TGA(sRGB), for example, or openEXR(Linear), it changes automatically this footage in Log (so nothing to do)?"

Resolve doesn't change anything automatically.

[Duca Simone Luchini] "But I work in [b]Linear[/b] work space in my 3d application (C4D, Maya) and Compositing sw as After Effects and Nuke.
"

Those applications can turn your sRGB footage into linear by using LUTs or other tools.

You should check out Resolve color management in the manual. You can bring multiple different color spaces in different files and Resolve will deal with them.

Return to posts index

Duca Simone Luchini
on Jan 28, 2016 at 6:18:25 am

Okay Tero,
so, if I have rightly understand, basically is not important in which format I import the footage in Davinci.

Return to posts index

Duca Simone Luchini
on Jan 28, 2016 at 6:51:33 am

Basically, an easier workflow for my issues could be:

1 - Convert sRGB Footage in Pro Res;
2 - Import in Davinci for a Primary CC and export the same Pro Res video Color Corrected (CC);
3 - Import Pro Res CC in After Effect and/or Nuke (and create Sequence for compositing issue) and export again in Pro Res;
4 - Import "composited" Pro Res CC again in Davinci for Grading;
5 - Export final format (for me Prop Res would be great to work in Premiere Pro).

What do you thing about?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 28, 2016 at 4:08:21 am

That can work. I would test the workflow first and make sure you'll have the range you need to correct the image, particularly in wide dynamic range situations (like very bright highlights or crushed blacks).

Bit-depth often becomes a bigger issue, particularly if you're dealing with 8-bit images. If you're dealing with 10- or 12- or 16-bit images, then there should be no problem provided the system and display can handle them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]