FORUMS: list search recent posts

DPX to FCPX workflow - correct aspect ratio?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Rigby
DPX to FCPX workflow - correct aspect ratio?
on Jan 25, 2016 at 12:30:53 pm

Hi there,

I have 7 DPX clips which were converted from 16mm. The frame size is 2048x1240 and it's 25fps. Each of the 7 DPX clips have a different starting timecode 01:00:00:00 - 07:00:00:00
I've test the workflow and it all seems to work well at this stage:

In Da Vinci create 7 timelines with the start timecode adjusted to relate to each DPX clip
Export Prores Proxies
Edit in FCPX
Export XML
Import XML into Da Vinci
Grade (the DPX have a "Technical Grade" on them from the post house and don't have as much scope in the grade as I had hoped, but that's a different issue!)
Deliver

My question is what aspect ratio should my timelines be?
My 1-7 timelines in Da Vinci should be 2048x1152 16:9? There's no 2048x1240 option, is 2048x1152 the best one to go for? I'm picking it as it's closest to 2048x1240. I know it doesn't matter too much at this stage as I'm just making proxies, but it does make a difference in the offline as the HD clip is either an overscan with black all around or full height with black at the edges.
My Prores Proxy files are 1920x1080 - that's fine
My FCPX timeline is 1920x1080 - that's fine
But when I import the XML back into Da Vinci, even if I un-tick sizing information my timeline is 1920x1080, so I have to make a 2048x1152 timeline and copy and paste all the clips into that?
What's the best size timeline to master in? I know it's probably a stylistic choice but is there a timeline where the DPX will be full frame with no black around?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: DPX to FCPX workflow - correct aspect ratio?
on Jan 27, 2016 at 7:18:23 am

[Joe Rigby] "What's the best size timeline to master in?"

In what resolution are you supposed to deliver the film in?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]