FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple LUT and transcoding Red Raw

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Simple LUT and transcoding Red Raw
on Dec 21, 2015 at 2:09:15 am

Any words of wisdom for my situation.
I'll be using Resolve Lite and a MacBook Pro Retina.

I have a job with 6.1 TB of Red Dragon 6k footage that I want to convert to ProRes, after applying a basic one light or LUT to it, just to get it in the ballpark. I'll be finishing in 1080p in the end.

Questions:

1. How long will it take (approximately) to transcode that amount of footage (days, I'm assuming)?
2. What's the best/easiest way to apply a simple grade to flat footage to get it into the Rec709 direction?
3. Is this something I'd be able basically set as a batch and leave alone as it did it's thing for the days that it will take? Or will I need to be in there manually tweaking and making settings changes as I go. Again, my main goal is just to get this footage into a ballpark rec709 look, and have it in a format I can work with.

THanks very much,

Dan S

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Simple LUT and transcoding Red Raw
on Dec 21, 2015 at 10:35:42 am

[Daniel Schultz] "I have a job with 6.1 TB of Red Dragon 6k footage that I want to convert to ProRes"

What are you doing with these files? Are they proxies? Are they something you'll work with? If they are proxies you can set them to rec709 in the RAW settings. If you're working with them I'd probably render them out with the redlogfilm gamma setting.

[Daniel Schultz] "1. How long will it take (approximately) to transcode that amount of footage (days, I'm assuming)?"

Probably not days. Just drop the debayer quality to half and see how fast/slow it goes.

[Daniel Schultz] "Is this something I'd be able basically set as a batch and leave alone as it did it's thing"

Yes

[Daniel Schultz] "Or will I need to be in there manually tweaking and making settings changes as I go."

It would be great to make a first pass before rendering it out. It would also be great if this thing was edited so you wouldn't need to render everything out and use only what is needed.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Dec 21, 2015 at 12:37:45 pm

Thanks for your reply, Tero.

So to answer your questions.

1. No, I don't plan to use these as proxies. Because this will be a web-only delivery in the end, working with ProRes that are in the ballpark, grading-wise should be totally fine. Also, the client is needing to review these files too, so being able to hand them a complete set of ProRes files would be advantageous to both them and me.

2. As a novice to Resolve, can you give me a quick how-to on setting the redlog gamma setting?
And also how to drop the deBayer to 1/2? And what kind of proRes file will I end up with (proRes HQ, 422, etc?).

Thanks again!

-Dan S.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Dec 21, 2015 at 1:36:37 pm

Oh, and one more question. Do you know if I can do this in Resolve V9.1 lite?\

Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 25, 2015 at 5:27:03 am

It will depend on how many takes are there, but I would think transcoding 6TB of material to ProRes need not take more than real time. If it's Red Epic 4K material at 5:1, that's about 30 hours of material, and I would bet it need not take more than a couple of days. Less, if you have a couple of computers to work with simultaneously. It would take more if you also had to sync up audio to go with the picture.

If you just want a ballpark temporary Rec709 look, go for RedColor 4 (or DragonColor) and RedGamma 4:

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/redlogfilm-redgamma

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]