FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motherboard supporting 3 GPUs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
samer mahmoud
Motherboard supporting 3 GPUs
on Dec 1, 2015 at 12:51:44 am

hi, i just purchased Davinci resolve for windows, its runing fine with these config.
CPU = Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz / 8MB cache
motherboard = MSI Z87-GD65
Rams = 32 GB 1600/PC 12800
Graphic card = Asus nVidia GTX 780ti 3GB

i already have 2 GTX Titan 6GB cards, but seems that mother board i have doesnt support using both cards, and i dont even have place for both on that board, since the Decklink taking 1 PCIE slot

any idea or advice about a motherboard that can support the GTX 780ti as GUI and the 2 GTX Titan for processing? i dont mind chancing the CPU too.

thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Motherboard supporting 3 GPUs
on Dec 1, 2015 at 1:44:21 am

You don't need a different motherboard, you need a Cubix expansion chassis. You put a PCIe card in the computer, which attaches to an expansion chassis, into which you can install several PCIe cards. FYI, the expansion chassis come in various sizes, each capable of accommodating different numbers of PCIe cards.

If you're really serious about color and ultimately decide to move over to the Linux version of Resolve, get the six-bay expander now, as that version of the software supports up to six GPUs.

Shop around, then contact me offline if you'd like me to get you a sweeter deal.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

samer mahmoud
on Dec 1, 2015 at 9:37:50 am

thanks David for your reply....
i know about the Cubix thing, i was trying not to invest in that, since im in Lebanon and shipping it over here plus taxes will make it cost a fortune and for now im grading max 2k Footage, just need the speed when i apply noise reduction.

i have Mac pro old version 8 cores, nVidia K5000 4GB already, and was planing to get the cubix for that, but after i made a test, that PC could handle 20 nodes with blurs, while the Mac 10.

so i thought i can change the motherboard and cpu and have a mother board that has 3 pci slots 16x so i can use the 3 cards i have.
sure need extra 1 or 2 pcie for decklink and maybe some other card for future.

Return to posts index

Christopher Adams
on Dec 1, 2015 at 3:14:39 pm

I was faced with this same issue.

I was on a Mac before and now just built a PC instead.

My requirements were to run Both Resolve as well as Real time GPU rendering in Octane and Nvidia iRay. etc. These all require a ton of gpus

I thought about going cubix.. but decided against it. For that price i could buy the GPU's and the new motherboard.

NOTE that as a bit of background... there are limits to the PCI lanes that various motherboard have. Also the CPU will also make a large impact on how many lanes there will be to the CPU and PCI slots. Most if not all of the i7 class CPUs will have only 28 lanes.. while Xeon's will have 40.

The need for multiple 16x slots, limits the boards that will take advantage of the 40 lanes. Of these you have a few boards that use dual Xeons from for example Super micro which have 80 lanes (40 per cpu)

As for single chip boards.. from my research are 2.

These have special PLE/PLX chips that help aggregate the lanes out so that it can do some slight of hand with resources thus letting you have 4 16x slots on these
boards.

NOTE that even with one of these 2 boards and a xeon.. that if you put in cards in some of the other slots, it may limit the bandwidth one one or more GPU slots down to 8x instead of full 16x speeds. Read your manual for your particular board for sharing limitations.

The two boards that i was considering were:

ASROCK
http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme11/index.us.asp

Asus
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99E_WSUSB_31/

These both have similar setups and have the plx chips in them to support multiple slots running at 16x speeds.

I eventually went with the ASUS one and its a brilliant and very flexible board.

I am putting in 4 water cooled GTX 980 Ti - 6GB cards.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1996-KR

I found that they were similar to the titans speed wise but cheaper and a bit less ram.

This decision seemed great compared to the costs of the cubix.

NOTE if you have the need to move it around room to room or system to system then cubix makes sense.
Otherwise i like my system self contained.

HERE is my full build list...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cjadams/saved/#view=BtPqqs

If you have questions feel free to contact me with questions.

cjadams.work (at) gmail (dot) com

Return to posts index

samer mahmoud
on Dec 1, 2015 at 10:51:44 pm

thanks chris, that was much help, i guess i will go for asus as well and get i7 2011 for now, hopefully it will be enough for 2k grading with the 2 Titan 6GB i have for processing, usually i limit my timeline for 1080 since its what i deliver when im done and my displays support 1080 not 2K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]