FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve and Transcoding XAVC to ProRes - render times

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carl jobs
Davinci Resolve and Transcoding XAVC to ProRes - render times
on Nov 18, 2015 at 10:31:53 pm

Hi,

I'm creating HD ProRes LT proxy clips from 4K XAVC media. Using Davinci Resolve 12. I'm on a custom machine 3.33Ghz i7, 16 gigs ram, ATI Radeon HD5770 1024MB. Yosemite.

I'm only getting 12.5 fps render time. going form G-raid USB3 to and internal drive.

Just trying to figure out my bottleneck here.. mathematically.. is the the graphics card? codec?

Thanks in advance. This is my first post here. ever.

Jon

Carl Jobs

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Davinci Resolve and Transcoding XAVC to ProRes - render times
on Nov 19, 2015 at 5:11:20 am

[carl jobs] " is the the graphics card? codec?"

Is the G-raid actually a RAID and is the internal drive a RAID? If not then you probably have a bottleneck in reading and writing the file.

Return to posts index

Jon Jobs
on Nov 19, 2015 at 5:34:16 am

The GRAID is an 8tb 2 drive unit, so I'm guessing its RAID 0. The internal drive is hooked up SATA. Prob SATA 2. I thought SATA 2 and USB 3 have enough throughput to handle 4k XAVC which has a bitrate of 500mbit/s. correct me if I'm wrong

Jon Jobs

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:22:11 pm

My personal expereince with a slew of diffferent USB3 interface cards is that not all of them meet up to the advertised thruput of USB3.I've found that the claims made by bus card manufacturers NEVER claim their cards make the USB3 comm speed, only that they "use" USB3. Having said that, you may want to try different interface cards until you find one that actually passes data at USB3 data rates. The only way to really tell what your system thruput speed is, is to test it with something like Blackmagic's Disk Speed tester.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 20, 2015 at 11:27:58 pm

[carl jobs] "ATI Radeon HD5770 1024MB."

If this is the only graphics card in the system, you are under spec for 4K anything. You are not taking advantage of CUDA processing for starters and the minimum recommendation for resolutions above 2K begins at 3GB of VRAM. Its surprising you are getting the render speed you are seeing and simply not crashing all over the place. In any event you are shortening the life span of your hardware.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Treffer
on Nov 22, 2015 at 8:17:36 pm

"If this is the only graphics card in the system, you are under spec for 4K anything."

I also ran into Carls problem, but with a 6-core new Mac Pro with 2 D500's. The thing is if you have proxy's of ProresLT at HD resolution, you are not dealing with 4K and you're actually dealing with a very easy codec at less than 20MB/sec.

BMD support advised me to take a look here for some optimisation settings: http://ilovehue.net/?p=461#
(It is about version 10, but BMD said it was still valid for version 12.)

I am editing 4K AVC-L media now, where first HD AVC-I gave problems.

Good luck, John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]