FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve (PC) 4K export format intended for viewing on newer 4K televisions ???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Resolve (PC) 4K export format intended for viewing on newer 4K televisions ???
on Oct 11, 2015 at 12:23:53 am

Macintosh Resolve can export into ProRes, a high quality codec and mov container format which most hardware recognizes.

But PC Resolve seems to have 4K exports limited to full intra-frame formats, DNxHR, DCI and others.

AFAIK, 4K TVs don't read these intra-frame formats.

My Atomos Shogun outputs its original recordings via 4K HDMI into a 4K TV (new Sony; beautiful) and works well.

But Resolve PC-edited 4K still seems to lack an export format intended for 4K TV viewing.

Hope I am missing something obvious; please suggest solutions.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Resolve (PC) 4K export format intended for viewing on newer 4K televisions ???
on Oct 12, 2015 at 4:52:05 am

If you have a BMD video card, like the Ultrastudio or Decklink, with HDMI, just connect that from Resolve to the monitor.

Rendering has nothing to do with the format needed for display via HDMI.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: Resolve (PC) 4K export format intended for viewing on newer 4K televisions ???
on Oct 12, 2015 at 5:22:05 am

Right. Thanks.

I was not clear. This is not an editing viewing monitor question, rather a home theater viewing question.

The idea is 4K playback into a conventional large screen TV (or monitor or projector) from the finished file output from Resolve.

As such, it is played back from a disk, large USB 3 drive or home theater micro pc (without a dedicated BMD card).

We know that H.264 with an .mp4 or .mov file wrapper works for standard HD into a monitor/TV/projector.

But does Resolve have a corresponding output format for 4K???

Gotta be a way; all the new camera stuff is touting flavors of 4K.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 14, 2015 at 4:07:18 am

[Michael McCune] "But does Resolve have a corresponding output format for 4K???"

You can export a H264 Quicktime file out of Resolve.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Oct 28, 2015 at 4:51:47 am

At 4K??? H.264 for HD, yes, but for 4K??? And this is on a PC, not a MAC, which can export to ProRes .mov, I understand.

Please detail your PC Delivery options to allow 4K output in a format recognized by the new 4K monitor/TVs, such a mov.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 29, 2015 at 5:01:57 am

[Michael McCune] "At 4K??? H.264 for HD, yes, but for 4K???"

Yes? You'd need more bitrate for that but it isn't impossible.

[Michael McCune] "Please detail your PC Delivery options to allow 4K output in a format recognized by the new 4K monitor/TVs, such a mov."

Give me a delivery specification and I'll see what I can do.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 21, 2015 at 5:27:04 pm

I'm still confused by the question, and I'm thinking along the same lines as Peter.

What are you trying to play back from? Are you saying you want to plug a hard drive directly into an Uhd tv in a "smart Tv" type of scenario, from within the TV interface maneuver to the hard drive, and hit play?

Typically you put your file to a hard drive, and run it through a computer, hooked up, as Peter said, to the monior (or TV)with some sort of hardware. If the computer/hardware setup can play the file, it will display on what ever you are outputting too, with the assumption you are outputting a proper raster size/frame rate etc that the tv specs can playback. Starting in prores, or DNXHR should be irrelevant at this point.

If it is the above scenario, using a smart tv, then it would depend on the tv specs as to what file types it can play natively. I would be surprise that it could even do a ProRes natively, and would think it was more likely to playback MP4s.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kirk Kidner
on Mar 6, 2016 at 3:18:55 am

I understand the question perfectly as I just ran into the same problem this evening. The Mac has a setting the TV and thumb drive understand. Render out on a PC and all the formats of UHD do not play on the thumb drive and TV. Looking for simple way to convert to a format the thumb drive and TV understand. The best you can do now is leave it as H264 in standard HD.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 6, 2016 at 6:25:00 am

So you are trying to plug a thumbdeive directly into the TV. A smart TV scenario. What formats does the tv specs say they support?.

What is your setting on the Mac actually outputting?

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]