FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 12: color keyframes have a snap-to function???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Resolve 12: color keyframes have a snap-to function???
on Aug 20, 2015 at 8:18:01 pm

Premiere has a helpful keyframe option which is to snap to the next keyframe; likewise, snap to the previous keyframe and to the first or last keyframe.

Am I missing this keyframe snap feature is Resolve???

Of course one can zoom in sufficiently to find and be more or less confident that one is actually about the modify an existing keyframe and not miss it. But that would be faster if there was a fast and certain shortcut.

Also, it seems that two dynamic keyframes will gradually interpolate their parameters going from one to the next. But actually, this simple interpolation seems to happen only if keyframes are sufficiently close. If they span a time of, say, an hour, then they seem to have a midpoint that is a lowest common setting of the paramater, and then it picks back up on its way to the next keyframe.

Am I seeing this correctly??? Is there some additional understanding of dynamic keyframes other than simply interpolating from one to the next?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: Resolve 12: color keyframes have a snap-to function???
on Aug 21, 2015 at 12:09:50 pm

I see the next and previous keyframe shortcuts given in the menu, which are [ and ].

How about a tear-off window for keyframes, similar to the waveform window that allows users to dock it on a second screen???

The obvious advantage is re-sizing for easier visibility and closer inspection, which the tiny keyframe window does not allow.

True, one can expand the keyframe window but at the expense of immediate access to the color controls that are likely needed.

Or, perhaps someone has a simple workaround, or perhaps I am missing something.

Any future in this for upcoming releases???

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:29:06 am

If you have three dynamic keyframes in a row, they will smoothly interpret between them. Is this what you mean? An end keyframe won't do this. You can vary the dynamic attributes by right-clicking, if you want to alter how they start and end.

If you need to jump to the previous or next keyframe, you can use the ] and [ keys.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Aug 25, 2015 at 3:35:12 pm

Thanks. Is there a detailed "reference" resource for keyframes???

Please clarify usage of different keyframe types with respect to interpolation. Dynamic types will--I believe--interpolate in both directions, as indicated by their left and right facing arrows.

So a sequence could be made exclusively of many of them-- all dynamics and no statics-- right?

Or, should the head frame and the tail frame be capped with a static type???

Will a dynamic keyframe that is, say, one minute from the start interpolate *back* to the first frame, which would not have a keyframe of any kind???.

Or, will that first dynamic assert its settings back to the start at 100% without interpolation, perhaps because there is no other frame with which to interpolate???

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 25, 2015 at 4:15:47 pm

[Michael McCune] "Will a dynamic keyframe that is, say, one minute from the start interpolate *back* to the first frame, which would not have a keyframe of any kind???.
"

No, a grade interpolation or geometric movement will only interpolate following a dynamic and will migrate to a setting defined by a static or other dynamic keyframe.The dynamically governed area is defined by the transition icon that will exist between these types of keyframes. The first frame of a clip is technically a static keyframe, which in plain language really means, "hold this correction from this point until you get another instruction." If its a dynamic type, then it will search for a destination setting and start evolving.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:23:55 am

Very helpful and, as is typical of technical mysteries, the answer is that an *implicit* keyframe exists, the first frame itself, a static keyframe, which holds until the next keyframe.

Probably the same at the end frame, an implicit static ending keyframe.

Clever.

Thanks
Mike

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 26, 2015 at 12:29:07 am

[Michael McCune] "So a sequence could be made exclusively of many of them-- all dynamics and no statics-- right?"
You could do that if you wanted. All this is covered in the v12 manual, pp. 926-943. I actually know of colorists who always use a dynamic keyframe to start AND end a dynamic, just on the possibility they may need to add a third one at the end. I'm so used to using "Start" and "End" keyframes from other programs, I just do it that way and live with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]