FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro 5,1 with Cubix and 2x Titan Black Problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sackey
Mac Pro 5,1 with Cubix and 2x Titan Black Problems
on Aug 1, 2015 at 4:55:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm posting this here as Resolve users seem to be the most likely group to be able to help while I'm unable to get tech support over the weekend.

I've just bought a Cubix Desktop Elite and two GTX Titan Blacks to upgrade my main clients Resolve suite running on a 5,1 Mac Pro (24gb ram, Decklink HD+, 10.9.5)

The main issue is being unable to start up the mac when the Titans are loaded in the Cubix and powered. I get the first stage of start up (grey screen with apple logo and grey spinning wheel) but at the point where the wheel should disappear and the mouse cursor appear the screen turns to black and the machine goes back to the beginning of the start up process then loops like this ad infinitum.

The HIC lights up as per the illustrations in the Cubix guide and is installed in slot 2 as per the guide (GTX 680 in Slot 1 for GUI).

I also get this happening whether the cards are plugged in to power or not.

Things I've noticed so far:

1. The HIC supplied with the Cubix does not show up in System Report at all. Could it be a faulty HIC or is this normal on your system?

2. If I load the old Quadro 4000 card I was using for a GUI in to the Cubix the Mac Pro will start up. Resolve will see the Q4K as a processing card but System Report will tell me there was an error collecting PCI information and won't display any info for any of the installed cards.

I've installed the latex version of CUDA and the latex Nvidia Mac OSX driver but this issue happens with both the Apple and Nvidia Drivers.

The problem report ends at this line:

"BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer
Boot args: nvda_drv=1"

Making it sound like the driver causing a kernel panic.

Has anyone come across this problem when setting up their Cubix?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Mac Pro 5,1 with Cubix and 2x Titan Black Problems
on Aug 1, 2015 at 9:31:13 pm

[John Sackey] "Making it sound like the driver causing a kernel panic.

Has anyone come across this problem when setting up their Cubix?"

Yes, I went through this a year ago.

What card do you have in Slot 01? Hope its an ATI/AMD (5770 or other)...

Cubix is in Slot02... correct?

Neither Titan is being used with a display -- only the Slot01 GPU can be used as UI and connected to monitors.

Which version of OS? I am running a plain-vanilla Titan with Mountain Lion in an off-site studio, but when I jumped to Titan Blacks for my main system, I needed to jump to Yosemite. This also limits the number of nVidia GPUs you can run in a system to two (2).

You will not be able to poll your PCIe buss with this configuration.

jP{o>

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Aug 1, 2015 at 10:16:53 pm

Hi Joseph, thanks for the speedy reply.

I have tried both my old Resolve cards in slot 1, Q4K and the GTX 680 mac, I was hoping to use the 680 to boost Adobe CC but I still have the original 5770 that shipped with the mac so I can pop that in.

The Cubix is in slot 2 yes.

I'm on 10.9.5 at the moment so I'm limited to 2 GPUs anyway. I was thinking of upgrading but didn't want to pull the trigger on that until I'd sought advice first but I'll try the 5770 and upgrading tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Aug 2, 2015 at 7:35:48 pm

Thanks again Joseph,

That's the problem sorted. Upgraded to the latest Yosemite and the latest Nvidia Drivers and it's all working fine now.

I used the 5770 we've got but then experimented with the GTX 680 as the Radeon was obviously struggling with GUI in Premiere. It's working fine with the 680 for GUI as well so I've managed to get everything I wanted.

Not sure that's ever happened before.

Thanks again
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]