FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client Monitors Options?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Weiner
Client Monitors Options?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:09:46 pm

Hey not sure this is the best place to post this question, but it seemed like my best option.

So we are looking to upgrade our edit bays with new large screen client monitors. We are HD only no 4K and won't have 4K for a VERY long time, our work mostly goes to broadcast. Wondering what client monitors you all use. From the low end to the high end. My instinct is to simply get a bunch of 50 - 55 inch Vizio E class monitors for like $500 a pop and get them to all have the same settings. What do you guys use, or suggest. Do we have to spring for the Flanders Scientific monitors?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Client Monitors Options?
on Jul 30, 2015 at 3:34:27 pm

[Eric Weiner] "My instinct is to simply get a bunch of 50 - 55 inch Vizio E class monitors for like $500 a pop and get them to all have the same settings. What do you guys use, or suggest. Do we have to spring for the Flanders Scientific monitors?"

The "$500 a pop" also has to factor in your investment in a calibration system that will be able to cope with consumer monitors, which are fairly resistant to critical alignment and cannot in most cases make the same colours as a grade-rated display. You will likely also have to invest in a LUT-box that will modify the signal stream specifically for the client display and/or a converter of some kind as some consumer devices will not not support all production standards. You might actually have to consider at least a Teranex Mini.

It will cost about $2500 to completely outfit a CalMan C6 spectrophotometer and software (not just the Studio Lite version as you will quickly find out that it will be inadequate for your various technical resources) and a couple of days to sort out how to use it, then a couple more to convince yourself that what it is doing is correct. Then your clients will still question everything about it.

Currently running an LG 55" UHD through an HDLinkPro, that after a week of tweaking is just about there. Working in anther studio that has a big 65" Samsung that is *very* flattering to the picture, but is *ahem* not totally accurate, either.

And you will require 4K sooner than you think.

Like... the day after you say... aww, we'll never have to deal with that....

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]