FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve does not recognize video containers like ProRes but shows image sequences

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Noll
Resolve does not recognize video containers like ProRes but shows image sequences
on Jul 14, 2015 at 4:30:40 pm

Hello,

since today DaVinci Resolve does not show any video. It doesn't see any MOV containers containing ProRes or h264. Neither in the Mediapool nor in the Timeline (although the videos work fine in the Finder & VLC).
DPX sequences are fully recognized (existing in the same folder).

Now I have reinstalled Resolve. I also have clean (!) installed Yosemite 10.10.2 again.
Can this be a disk permission problem?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

System:
MacPro 2008 8-core, 18GB RAM, GTX285
Resolve 11.3.1
OSX 10.10.2

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Resolve does not recognize video containers like ProRes but shows image sequences
on Jul 14, 2015 at 7:27:05 pm

Most issues like the one you're describing don't simply transpire out of the clear blue sky. When did this first happen, and did you change or update anything before you began having these issues?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Martin Noll
Re: Resolve does not recognize video containers like ProRes but shows image sequences
on Jul 14, 2015 at 8:49:54 pm

no updates were made, but I did two things yesterday:

• installed 2 memory modules (upgrade from 10GB to 18GB)

• no problems. Very unlikely that a proper RAM upgrade disables the Quicktime recognation
    to be sure I removed the RAM modules temporaly but the problem remains

• installed Media Converter for rewrapping h264 [http://media-converter.sourceforge.net/]

• I had to change permissions in Library/Application Support folder in order to install a converter PlugIn.
    On my clean install system I didn't install Media Converter. The problem remains.

I suspect Quicktime components or permissions regarding Quicktime were corrupted.
    Or the Resolve Disk Database is corrupted. I copied the Database folder to the new system. Is there a way to delete all the user & projects and set Resolve to defaults?

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
    on Jul 14, 2015 at 9:42:15 pm

The Resolve database has nothing to do with seeing video clips.

Can you confirm that you don't see those files in the Library area of the Media page of Resolve? That is, by selecting the clips in the Library area, and seeing them in the Media page Viewer.

Or is the issue just related to existing projects and clips in the Media Pool / Timeline?

If you can see clips in the Library, but not in the Media Pool, that would be an issue with the clip paths no longer matching the path of the clips in the Media Pool. This can be confirmed by putting the Media Pool in List view and checking the File Path column. You can also right click a clip in the Media Pool and select "Reveal in Finder". If nothing appears, then the clip path is not correct, for whatever reason.

This can happen with projects imported from other systems, or if your media was on a drive that the volume name has changed on since the clips were added to the Media Pool.

Dwaine Maggart
    Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Martin Noll
    on Jul 14, 2015 at 9:53:37 pm

[Dwaine Maggart] "Can you confirm that you don't see those files in the Library area of the Media page of Resolve?"

I can't see the ProRes Clips in the Library area of the Media page. But I can see DPX/TIF sequences in the same folder.

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
    on Jul 14, 2015 at 10:05:44 pm

Do you see the clip names in the Library, but no video in the Viewer when the name is selected?

Or do you not see the clip names at all?

The only reason Resolve would not show you clip names at all is either the .mov extensions are missing, or the files are of a type not supported by Resolve.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index

Martin Noll
    on Jul 14, 2015 at 10:34:20 pm

[Dwaine Maggart] "Or do you not see the clip names at all?"

I don't see them at all.
    The file extension is existing and that ProRes Clips were rendered by Resolve previously (hence supported format).

I just discoverd this:

Resolve can't deliver ProRes.
    Error message is "Resolve has not the permission to write...".
    Same message for all drives I connected.
    But Resolve can deliver a DPX version!
    FCP can render ProRes to those locations without any problems.

So it seems there is an individual Resolve/Quicktime permission problem. And it seems the new system has inherited the problem.
    I already have repaired the permissions with the OSX Disktool.

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
    on Jul 14, 2015 at 11:19:24 pm

If you reinstalled OSX 10.10.2 from scratch and then installed Resolve, I don't see how there could be permission issues. And I've never seen permission issues related to QT that would prevent Resolve from seeing ProRes files.

I would suggest you contact your local Blackmagic Design office, where you will be asked for more troubleshooting files to look at.

Dwaine Maggart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]