FORUMS: list search recent posts

3xGTX680 vs. 1 to 2xGTX 980 TIs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
3xGTX680 vs. 1 to 2xGTX 980 TIs
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:34:36 am

Too soon I know, but thoughts on selling my three GTX 680 4GB cards for one GTX 980 TI with 6GB of ram? The hope is to add another GTX 980 TI before years end. But will one hold me over? In some benchmarks the new 980 TI performs at over three times that of a single 680 and according to many performs at 98% of a Titan X. I have no concerns with running two 980 TIs but one versus three 680s concerns me. Right now, with the right settings on my rig, I can play back 5K Red Dragon with a handful of grading nodes and NR at full debayer quality. The reason to move to two 980 TIs is to free up two expansion slots, rmove some heat from the workstation, make it quieter, and use less energy.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 3xGTX680 vs. 1 to 2xGTX 980 TIs
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:20:49 pm

Your logic is sound on everything... If you have a double wide slot available in your computer, and you don't have to put the primary card in the computer, you might wring some additional performance out of it, as expansion chassis sometimes suck some performance out of the highest performing PCIe cards.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]