FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve audio keyframes - mass delete / reset?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linwood Ferguson
Resolve audio keyframes - mass delete / reset?
on May 17, 2015 at 10:01:49 pm

*** Post script -- problem solved -- see below ****

I realize it is not a full featured audio editor, but simple volume controls and fades are enough for most of my home videos. but...

If you use the audio mixer, and get it wrong -- how can you fix it?

It creates potentially hundreds of keyframes marked on the audio track. You can grab them and move them around, but I can't see how to actually remove them without deleting and re-inserting the audio clip (which may be part of a paired video you've already color corrected making it a bit more problematic).

Rerunning through it in real time with the audio mixer is an exercise in frustration, as the knobs move to match the original, not what you want now, it's like a tug of war.

There must be a "reset to clip audio and start over" somewhere... am I just missing it?

Linwood

**** After posting this I found it, and didn't see a way to delete the post. The inspector will let you both toggle through and change individual points, and also with the backwards circle reset them. I don't see off hand a way to do multiple clips but this does redo a whole clip at once.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolve audio keyframes - mass delete / reset?
on May 18, 2015 at 1:14:48 am

It's for reasons like this that you're much better off editing, mixing, and processing sound in a dedicated sound application like Pro Tools. There are inexpensive versions of Pro Tools out there that work pretty much the same way as the versions used by major studios. I wouldn't trust sound editing or mixing in any editing application (including Avid, Final Cut, Premiere, or anything else), so I'm not singling out Resolve here. It's very important to use the right tool for the right job, and there are affordable ways to do this much better.

Return to posts index

Linwood Ferguson
Re: Resolve audio keyframes - mass delete / reset?
on May 19, 2015 at 12:42:54 am

I get the advice generally, but I am using this for home videos not more serious work. I do a lot of still photography so I appreciate the depth of the color correction capabilities of Resolve, and the edit capabilities are good enough for me. The audio... well, is more of a challenge. I wonder how much they will improve in 12?

I'm a bit unclear how one even approaches this, though, with a real tool. I looked at the Avid Pro Tools First, and it looked quick capable, but if I can ask a naive question - isn't it a challenge to merge in, say, background music when you can't see the video on a timeline? Or do the non-free versions show you the video simultaneously?

Or do you do all the timing - putting clips together and synchronize things -- in the editor, then clean the audio up but not change the timing in a downstream editor?

Sorry if all this is obvious to people doing it for a living, this is more of a lark for me, to clean up our old video from the 80's and 90's.

Linwood

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]