Hi, we are shooting with RED Epic 5K , mabe 6K in the future.
We want to build an AVID MC editing station, which we'd also use for CC with Resolve.
Approved configuration for both is mandatory.
As working with R3D files is very intensive, after spending much time to find a lot of information, here is what we plan :
- HP Z840 with 2 x 12core Xeon
- Nvidia K5200 as first graphic card ( Avid certification)
- 32 Gb RAM as minimum.
My main interrogation is concerning GPU vs Red Rocket X as acceleration board for Resolve :
- Adding a K5200 should be easy, but not a big gain compared to other solutions ( see below)
- Add a GTX titan : important Cuda gain for resolve. but I guess a driver problem between Quadro and Geforce in the same computer.
- Red Rocket X : big help for Resolve AND MediaComposer. but only useful for R3D workflow....
GPU/CPU performance with respect to "certified" performance for the level you are attempting is going to involve more than just the workstation+internal peripherals as you are going to be moving a mountain of data and media storage might eventually become a bigger concern. Do you intend to work at Full Resolution Premium, and in that case, what will you be using for a display?
"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.