FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just finished editing a film and need some advice!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
Just finished editing a film and need some advice!
on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:22:49 pm

So we have just locked a film, shot at RED 5K and it looks great, now are looking to get it coloured and "finished".
Now this is where the problem comes in, it seems the director has found a company but they are currently grading simply using a mac Pro (new model) hooked up to standard monitor (via HDMI). The film is aiming for limited release. From my past experience i know you cannot get full correct colour levels from this set up, instead you should use something in between like black magic in/out box.

Please can you help me find a way to explain to the director/Production why the current set up will not suffice.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Just finished editing a film and need some advice!
on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:36:13 pm

Why don't you take a SMPTE colorbar and a very short test clip from your project, take it through the entire pipeline, then display it on the delivery equipment?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Just finished editing a film and need some advice!
on Apr 26, 2015 at 8:10:05 am

[Ricky Milling] "Now this is where the problem comes in, it seems the director has found a company but they are currently grading simply using a mac Pro (new model) hooked up to standard monitor (via HDMI)."
That ain't gonna work. You really have to have a color-managed output on a calibrated monitor, or you have no idea what you're looking at. You need to hire a post supervisor who knows what he or she is doing to insist on a real facility with real monitors and experienced people.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]