FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export timeline with current settings

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrique Londaits
Export timeline with current settings
on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:40:44 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie with Resolve Lite, and I can't find a way to export a timeline with the current clips' settings, as you do in FCP.
I mean, it can be a ProRes that's been trimmed, or a new audio channel has been added, and I want to export with those modifications
but without actually recompressing the footage. Any pointers will be appreciated!
Enrique Londaits-Buenos Aires, Argentina

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Export timeline with current settings
on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:40:21 pm

[Enrique Londaits] "without actually recompressing the footage."

So this is where I am suddenly not secure in my understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

The way Resolve works is that you create (render) new, color-corrected media, which is a kind of recompression. The color corrections do not travel with the source media as a filter, effect or metadata. If you make editorial changes in the timeline -- depending on the source edit, whether it originated in FCP or PP or MC, you do have options regarding export of the sequence as a modified version of the original XML, AAF or as a completely new composition -- which is mostly the case in trying to round-trip an AAF. Some editorial changes will nullify the ability to use the original with revisions -- it will corrupt on export.

Where that happens it is my experience that exporting a new XML from Resolve, re-opening that XML in a new project and then exporting a new AAF will often result in a good timeline.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
Re: Export timeline with current settings
on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:18:34 pm

Thanks for your reply, Joseph. The thing is I'm using Resolve for simple edits more than for color grading, as I got fed up with some of the FCP audio issues.
I'm not a colorist, I do DCPs, DVDs, Blurays and digital deliveries for my clients, usually from already graded features.
Sometimes they hand me an image sequence + audio for the DCP, and afterwards they ask me to export a Quicktime Pro HQ with 5.1 audio embedded,
or they hand me a Quicktime Pro that they just need to replace the end-credits roll with a new one and re-export.
So sometimes it'd be faster to export without recompressing, a la FCP. That's why I was asking. Best regards!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]