FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML issues round tripping with FCPX

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lavon
XML issues round tripping with FCPX
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:40:14 pm

So I am trying out the Lite version and I am finding many problems getting a FCPX XML imported correctly. Some audio imports correctly, some doesn't (I know it doesn't work with mp3 or WAV) . Obviously none of the titles work, and some of the EFX or transitions don't work either. Then when I send back to FCPX the audio clips are now above the video clips, and nothing is in the primary storyline. And of course the audio and efx are missing. So my feeling is that unless this is a very simple project consisting of only video clips and you really don't care about the audio then the roundtripping is not practical. I realize Resolve is a grading app, and that's what you use it for, but in the end the graded clips have to go back to FCPX, and that's where the problem is.Maybe someone can weigh in on their workflow, if they are successfully using it with FCPX.

Return to posts index

Dan Edwards
Re: XML issues round tripping with FCPX
on May 8, 2015 at 10:23:50 pm

Hi Rick,

Even though you're using a FCP-specific flavor of XML, its still limited in what it can communicate with Resolve. For example, since EFX and other titling effects are specific to FCP, those won't transfer to Resolve. I'm no pro, but this is my workflow:

-Obtain project
-Create duplicate, working timeline of edit right away to preserve original for reference. I usually call it "To Color"
-Render out specific clips with effects added, essentially "baking them in"
-Place on top of original clips in original timeline, then outright replace in the "To Color" timeline
-Simplify new timeline as much as possible, remove all color, effects, etc, place all clips on one video track/layer
-I usually skip audio since it will be rendered out in FCP anyways after, or is synced with a bounced, mixed file.

I don't believe this is the most efficient way to do it, but it works quite well with the editors I work with, as it provides versioning and transparency. I've also heard that by making proxies in the beginning of the post process, rogue timecode can be eliminated and prevent weird XML syncing issues when bringing back into FCP. I have not tried that but worth mentioning.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]