FORUMS: list search recent posts

HP Z820, Quadro K4000+GTX 670, poor realtime performance

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timo Teravainen
HP Z820, Quadro K4000+GTX 670, poor realtime performance
on Mar 9, 2015 at 5:57:44 pm

Hi,

We're running Resolve 11 with a HP Z820, dual Xeons, 32 GB of RAM, Win7 Pro, Quadro K4000 and GTX 670 4GB, Blackmagic Mini Monitor. The playback drops from realtime after about 4-6 nodes. Nothing fancy on the nodes, no noise reduction etc. Material is DNxHD MXF 1920x1080. This kind of machine should be able to run much more than a few nodes of HD in realtime, right? It's somewhat better rt performance if the Resolve scopes are turned off, but I'm needing them most of the time.

When I check the Resolve preferences, it's only showing the GTX 670, no Quadro. Driver version is GeForce 340.52, as that is one of the drivers that work with both Quadro and GTX, and seems to run ok with Avid also which is installed on the same system. The Nvidia Control Panel is showing both cards. Monitors are connected to the Quadro obviously.

Any ideas..?

Return to posts index

Matt Gottshalk
Re: HP Z820, Quadro K4000+GTX 670, poor realtime performance
on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:29:46 pm

The fact that Resolve is not showing the Quadro K4000 might be an issue.

What kind of hard drive arrays are you using for your source material?

McGee Digital Media Inc.
24P HD Production and Post
http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:06:17 am

We're using Western Digital RE 4TB drives, no RAID, but it should not be an issue with DNxHD bandwidth.. My Ivy Bridge 4-core machine at home performs just fine with Prores/DNxHD and 7200rpm drives.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 13, 2015 at 2:12:12 pm

Both cards are in the machine, or is one in an expansion chasis?

I have k4000 and gtx's, but they are in an expansion slot. All 3 show up in resolve.

Does the K4000 show up in your device manager. (You have 2 different sets of drivers installed correct?)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 14, 2015 at 7:15:59 pm

No expansion chassis, just the HP Z820 which has enough slots available.

I haven't found instructions on what kind of driver setup is best for Quadro+GTX cards, but from some forum I run into advice that one driver - GTX - should work with both cards. So I'm running a 340.52 GTX driver. But I'll have to change it anyway as we're updating to GTX 970 card and that driver is too old for it.

So what's the procedure of installing two different driver versions on the same system? Is there something to take into consideration

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 14, 2015 at 8:18:33 pm

Hmmm, i just checked my system. I might have been confusing an earlier time when i had an FX4800 and the K4000.

I installed one card, installed the driver, installed the other card, and it wouldn't show up untill I installed a second different driver.

It looks like my system, with a K4000 and two GTX770s, are all using one driver.

I have some other conflicts with my Avid DS software, so i'm on an earlier version...i'm running 310.90 (3d vision controller and 340.52 (graphics driver) In my computer management it lists driver version of 9.18.13.4052 for both.
(I hate the Nvidia number system...hard to know what you are running.)

But again, they should both show up in your computer management. Have you tried removing the GTX to see if the K4000 shows up? If the card changed slots after its initial installation, it might need to be removed and reinstalled into the new slot, without the other card in the system.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 15, 2015 at 7:25:21 am

I'll have to check when I get to the office next week if they're showing in the computern management. I know that they are both showing on the NVidia Control Panel. And the K4000 is working, as it's the one where the displays are connected. Resolve just doesn't seem to "see" it. On the other hand, Avid does see it. And it certainly seems like Resolve is not using the K4000 efficiently. When I'm using the internal scopes in Davinci, the performance drops from realtime.

I'm on the same graphic driver version 340.52 for the same reasons (Avid). But now theres a need to update the driver for a new card we just got, since that driver doesn't support the 900 series cards.

I wish Blackmagic would be more clear with the driver recommendations...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 15, 2015 at 4:31:31 pm

Is there a difference in bus data transfer rates between the PCIe slots?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 15, 2015 at 4:34:41 pm

There certainly is. I'm assuming Timo that you've installed them based on the Resolve suggested board order in their config guide?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 16, 2015 at 7:25:28 am

I have the PCIE cards configured somewhat differently than the guide suggests, as there's an ethernet card that seems to work only in a certain card slot. But the GPU:s are installed both into 16x card slots.

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 16, 2015 at 1:30:30 pm

Hi Timo,

When we ran multiple cards in our workstations, Davinci typically would only recognize the cards not connected to any monitor's, therefore being recognized as "processing" GPU's only. Also I mght mention the lite version will only recognize one, again typically the one not connected to any monitors.

I've run the 670 4GB card with Davinci and never had any problems using DNxHD 220x and ProRes footage. Worked beautifully. I did run into problems with PCI-E lanes not being mapped properly on certain boards in the way's it might appear obvious at first.

I suggest grabbing a copy of GPU-Z, fire it up and select your processing card then stick it some place where you can see it. Then fire up Resolve and try to stress the card a little. See what the PCI-E link shows as they vary dynamically based on load. It will tell how many lanes are assigned (4x, 8x etc) and the revision (1.0, 2.0 etc). That will let you know definitively if that is your bottle neck.

If that doesn't work, we can try something else. I had trouble several times arranging our 10BGe Chelsio & Decklink cards in just the right place to keep it from throttling down the main GPU. Also had to plenty of configuring.

Some have mentioned about using Geforce drivers on Quadro cards. IMO that's a BAD idea! Reason I say that is as i recall, there is some forms of acceleration that rely on the Quadro drivers, especially OpenGL performance. Also the Quadro drivers are designed for precision & quality. The Geforce drivers are designed for gaming and will basically sacrifice quality for speed typically. In the past, we would use Quadro drivers on Geforce cards and frankly the resulting image quality was much better.

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 16, 2015 at 2:20:38 pm

Timo, they might all be 16x slots, but those slots have rules regarding that functionality, depending on how other slots are being used. I'm pretty sure that at least one of those slots drops to 8x if another one is being used at 16 x. Perhaps try the blackmagic config, without the other cards in place and see if that helps.

(I'm assuming you have dual CPU's?)

Also, which of your cards is hooked up to the monitor?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:36:38 pm

Ok so it looks like there are lots of things to try out. I'm running with Geforce drivers for both cards now, as several people have said it's problematic to run two different sets of drivers, but I will try to install separate drivers for each card. And it could be worth trying with the Quadro driver as the only driver.

I'll also try the Blackmagic card slot configuration and see if that changes things.

Glenn, the monitors are connected to the Quadro card, and the GTX card is not connected to anything else than PCIe lane. And yes it's a dual Xeon configuration.

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 16, 2015 at 7:12:25 pm

I wanted to add, I mean nothing against anyone who uses Geforce drivers! I've used them plenty! I just wanted to mention going the other direction in a professional workstation might be a better option.

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:01:17 pm

Today I installed the GTX 970 with the Quadro K4000. Installed the Quadro driver, after which the GTX card didn't work. Installed the GeForce driver from Device Manager (update driver), didn't use the driver install wizard. Everything worked fine in Resolve and performance was very good.

The problems came when starting Avid, part of the displays were missing, only timeline and bins visible. Looking at the nVidia Control Panel and Device Manager, it also looked like the Quadro driver had been overwritten by the Geforce driver. The only way to get Avid working properly was to uninstall Geforce driver and re-install the Quadro driver, and detach the GTX card.

Any ideas on how to get Avid+Resolve working with this kind of setup? Or is it half an hour of installing procedure every time when swithing between applications?

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 18, 2015 at 1:56:50 am

From what I can tell, you should be able to accomplish what your trying to do but it takes a little bit of doing. I've done something similar in the past. It might sound strange but you basically have to trick the Quadro drivers into working on a Geforce card since by default that is disabled by nVidia (that way you are forced to buy an equivalent Quadro instead, etc etc). You basically have to replace the information file (.inf) that comes with the Quadro drivers with one that allows you to install those drivers on Geforce cards as well.

What version of the Quadro drivers are you using? If your using 341.21, I can give you the required file right here: Modified Quadro Driver INF

Basically once you have the above file downloaded, you'll need to copy the downloaded file, then find the extracted driver files on your computer. Typically when the nVidia drivers are extracted, they go to "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.21\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver" or something similar to that. It may be different for you but the main thing is, you need to make it into the Display.Driver folder. Once you are in that folder, paste the downloaded file. It will ask you to place the original. You'll want to choose yes (overwrite). If it doesn't ask you to overwrite, then you'll need to check and make sure your in the right folder.

After that you should be set. Just reinstall the Quadro drivers for both cards (the K4000 and the 970) by running the setup.exe in the International folder, then reboot. You won't want to run the original nVidia file you downloaded as that will overwrite the modified .inf. You'll want to make sure the Geforce drivers are completely uninstalled before installing the modified Quadro drivers also.

I should also mention, that file I gave you will only work with version 341.21. I'm sorry that's a little bit older and you may have to download it from nVidia's archives but it's only only version I found really quickly that should be stable. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it yet either as I'm currently on an EliteBook (in the process of moving so don't have access to the workstations right now) but it should work just fine.

Hope that helps! If not, let me know, we can try something else.

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:07:19 am

I just want to clarify (I also modified my previous post to reflect this), once you have overwritten the .inf, you'll want to run the setup.exe in the International folder. You'll not want to run the original setup that you downloaded (usually something like this "341.21-quadro-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe" or something similar) or otherwise it will overwrite the modified inf while extracting again from scratch.

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 18, 2015 at 3:55:26 pm

Ok thanks, that sounds like worth trying out. The quadro driver version is 340.84 at the moment, so it's even older than the one you suggested. I'll have to check if Avid works ok with the 341 driver.. it seems to be really picky with the drivers. The Z820 is being used almost 24/7 so it will take some time before I'll get the chance to test out.

The question that comes up for me is wether or not these older quadro drivers are using the full potential of new 970 gtx card.. but I guess we'll just have to see about it.

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 19, 2015 at 1:40:24 am

No problem!

Hopefully it works for you. I'm sorry, I completely forgot about Avid compatibility or I would have checked on that. I haven't been using Avid lately so it slipped my mind.

The 341.21 driver is not that old (I believe 347 is the current version) so hopefully it will work but if it doesn't appear to be, I found some newer modified drivers. The guy's over at forums.guru3d.com keep up on it pretty well. Here are the forum threads and modified files for the newer versions:

Nvidia Quadro/Grid 344.11:

I'm not entirely sure if this one is Avid compatible as I can't seem to find any info on this version in particular. That may mean it works just fine :-).

Nvidia Quadro/Grid 344.11 WHQL + inf modded for all geforces

Modified 344.11 INF Download (from the forum thread)

Nvidia Quadro/Grid 347.52:

One guy had trouble with this version it seems but I think he may have worked it out, it's unclear. Here is the thread. As another guy on that thread mentions, the PC Geforce drivers don't seem to have full OpenGL hardware support. This is one reason I like to go this route. I think it basically solves that problem. Just my opinion though!

Nvidia Quadro/Grid 347.52 whql + inf modded for geforces

Modified 347.52 INF Download (from the forum thread)

Hope that helps!

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:18:52 am

Some people are reporting the 341.21 driver is working fine with Avid, so I'll give it a try first. Thank you so much for finding this all out!

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:46:34 pm

No problem! Glad to help!

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 20, 2015 at 6:48:42 pm

Today I installed the Quadro 341.21 driver with the modified inf -file. Both GTX and Quadro cards seem to work great, with both Avid and Resolve. This was a great solution, thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:44:49 pm

Fantastic! Glad to hear it! I hope it keeps working!

~Jakob

Return to posts index

Jakob Woodruff
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:58:31 pm

If you need anything else, just let me know. :)

~Jakob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]