FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve and FCPX

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Davies
Resolve and FCPX
on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:52:02 am

Hi guys,

I've literally just installed Resolve, but had a burning question. I can see that you can edit in Resolve, but was wondering what you guys are doing. Do you edit in FCPX (or other NLE) or do you actually do all the work in Resolve now please?

I'm just about to start learning how to use it, but just deciding if I do the core edits in FCPX and then send it to Resolve, or just do it all through Resolve.

Any advice/experience gratefully received :)

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Resolve and FCPX
on Mar 1, 2015 at 5:25:47 pm

[Mark Davies] "I can see that you can edit in Resolve, but was wondering what you guys are doing. Do you edit in FCPX (or other NLE) or do you actually do all the work in Resolve now please? "

It depends on the scale and budget. Edit software is more than just bout whether you can do a cut or a dissolve and scrub/mix the audio and add a title.

One of the core features of the re-conception of Final Cut was to implement an entirely new method of cataloguing the media resources available to the project. All that gak about magnetic timelines and blah, blah, blah was utterly beside the point -- similar to arguing the finer points of say, some kind of exotic intimate human relationship technique when you don't actually have a real boy- or girlfriend. My point being that technique without meaning is a waste of time and energy.

I get most projects sourcing from just about every NLE in general use (but almost zero from FCPX... so I do mean "in use"). My major business is as a grade service provider, so my part is (optimistically) after lock. I have cut a few EXTREMELY SIMPLE projects in the Resolve timeline. Yeah, it worked. Meh.

What is good about it for me is that revisions, when they do come, are not the major catastrophe that they used to be that would corrupt XML round trips, lose linked sources, and any number of other innocent nightmares.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 7, 2015 at 4:22:10 pm

It's true, you can edit in Resolve...It's also true you can colour in Media Composer, but there is a reason resolve is described as colour correction software, and Media Composer is described as editing software.

Resolve is great for tweaks, but personally, the zooming in and out on the timeline drives me crazy. I find it very clunky at best. I also find the snapping to edit points not very good. I am constantly finding black holes, where i thought edits matched up.

The timeramps are quite basic. (although their optical flow is very good) Try building any kind of curve in a time effect, or worse yet, modifying one that came from another program.
I haven't used it for editing audio, but have heard some horror stories. (can't hear audio unless you are in full playback mode??? is that still correct?)

The only way you are going to know, is to start in on a project and decided for yourself. If you have experience with other NLE's than you may make up your mind pretty fast. If not, you may be perfectly happy.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 16, 2015 at 4:28:36 am

[Glenn Sakatch] "The timeramps are quite basic. (although their optical flow is very good) Try building any kind of curve in a time effect, or worse yet, modifying one that came from another program.
I haven't used it for editing audio, but have heard some horror stories. (can't hear audio unless you are in full playback mode??? is that still correct?)"

I believe all these problems have been addressed in Resolve 12, due out in July.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]