FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lag and snappiness, differences between systems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timo Teravainen
Lag and snappiness, differences between systems
on Jan 15, 2015 at 4:13:10 pm

Hi, I have 2 PC Resolve systems. The main system has pretty much the Blackmagic recommended components, Asus P9X79 E-WS mobo, i7 3930K 6-core processor, 32GB ram, GTX 780 with 6GB ram and GT 440 running the GUI, Blackmagic Extreme 3D videocard. It's my more laggy, slow system. The other PC is 3 years old i7 2600K (4-core) with GTX 285 & GTX580, P8P67 mobo with slower PCI-E channels (8x), Ultrastudio SDI card for monitoring (USB3) and this system is more responsive and snappy in Resolve when working in HD. It's quite a noticeable difference. When using the Tangent Wave panel, the 3930K waits for a while before responding, whereas the 2600K responds almost without any lag. This should be the other way round i think..

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
Re: Lag and snappiness, differences between systems
on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:40:20 am

Does anyone have suggestions where to start to investigate.. good diagnostic apps..?

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:24:34 pm

Check NVIDIA driver differences
Check Windows Settings are set to max performance as per configuration guide
Lose the 440 and try with only 780

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:58:13 pm

Will try those, thanks!

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:34:30 pm

Ok, tried all those, not much insights. Driver versions were the same, 340.52. Got rid of the GT 440, which didn't have any effect on performance. The 3930K machine runs more nodes in RT, but the older 2600K is snappier when adjusting nodes in a large node tree, no lag between turning the knob on the Wave and adjustments on the image. hmm. I'll try next to equip the 3930K with a beefier GUI GPU. Just got a GTX 750 for that purpose.

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:24:15 pm

The gui gpu didn't have much effect on the snappiness, but I also started to suspect the power supply, and swapped the PSU from another PC.. and it really made a difference! The old PSU, even if it was the same 1000W, couldn't deliver the needed juice as fast as the other PSU. In this case Corsair was better than Cooler Master.

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 20, 2015 at 6:57:04 pm

Well, in case someone is still interested in this subject: I have found that the PSU didn't have such a big impact after all. There's still noticeable differences between these systems. My older Ivy Bridge is still the more responsive system, even if it can't run as many nodes as the 3930K - system. The lack of responsiveness with the more powerful computer makes it a pain to work with. It's somewhere between half a second and a second of lag between adjusting and something happening on the screen, and it's sometimes too much. I've also worked with a HP Z820, which is a great and solid system, but it also has more lag than my old i7 2600K Ivy Bridge. I'd really like to find out what's going on...

Return to posts index

Itai Bachar
on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:02:54 pm

Is the lagginess coming from/with the Tangent?

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Mar 31, 2015 at 1:07:51 pm

It's especially noticeable when using a control surface. But its there also when using the mouse. The change of PSU didn't fully solve the issue. Maybe I'll just have to accept that a old low-spec PC can be snappier to work with than a beefier one. I'm also using a HP Z820 with dual xeons and Avid Artist Color surface, and the response from that surface is slooow.. Sometimes 1-2 sec before anything happens on-screen.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 6, 2015 at 4:06:39 pm

[Timo Teravainen] "It's especially noticeable when using a control surface. But its there also when using the mouse."

How about trying other USB ports or checking if the USB controllers have the latest drivers?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 6, 2015 at 5:34:33 pm

Where is your footage coming from?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Apr 7, 2015 at 7:52:41 pm

I'll have to double check but I think there should be the latest drivers. Footage is either Prores 1080 or RED 4K (usually with 1/4 resolution).

One other strangeness with this PC is that it tends to wait for a while before it allows the removal of a USB stick or a drive, and the harddrives seem to be working lot during that "hanging". I have upgraded the motherboard from P9X79 Pro to the E-WS and it's the same behaviour with both mobos (Re-installed Windows and all drivers of course when installed new mobo)

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:13:18 am

Do you have any power saving options on?

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:38:31 am

No.. there might be a HD sleep setting after 1 hour, I might try to uncheck that also.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:59:40 pm

You might want to check that your USB ports aren't in power save mode. They should be in the advanced power settings.

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jul 4, 2015 at 3:15:01 pm

Came back to this subject after putting together a i7 5960X 8-core system with GTX 780 gpu, and it performs really nicely, runs realtime 4K, but the snappiness is far from my old 4-core i7 2600K system. But voila, after turning off the onboard Davinci video scopes, the system responsiveness becomes really nice. People were saying that nowdays there's no use for a GUI GPU, but I have to disagree..

I really like the Davinci scopes and prefer to use them instead something like Ultrascope. Haven't tested Scopebox though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]