FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firmware upgraded refurbished Mac Pro 2009 vs Mac Pro 2010

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Taylor
Firmware upgraded refurbished Mac Pro 2009 vs Mac Pro 2010
on Dec 18, 2014 at 2:20:11 am

Hi there!

So my venerable Mac Pro 2008 finally bit the dust and I am shopping for a replacement. I've decided to wait until the next generation of the nMP so it looks like it will be a older Mac Pro.

Does anyone have any experience with upgraded 2009 Mac Pro models? I've found a few 12-core 2009 models that have had their firmware upgraded to 5.1. I expect these machines should do quite well with Final Cut Pro but I am hoping someone can relay direct experience with Resolve.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Firmware upgraded refurbished Mac Pro 2009 vs Mac Pro 2010
on Jan 2, 2015 at 6:37:16 pm

[Gary Taylor] " a few 12-core 2009 models that have had their firmware upgraded to 5.1. "

The hardware / OS mix is what will eventually make the 4,1 and 5,1 releases obsolete, which it seems Apple is determined to do. This break occurred with the 3,1 and older Macpros -- which cannot deal with non-Mac Nvidia/PNY GPUs. The real crunch is with choice of OS. Mountain Lion in a 5,1 supported some non-flashed GPUs (very important for Resolve) up to the first round of TItan, but Titan Black required upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite. The problem there is that those two OS releases limit the number of
non-ATI GPUs to two. For some reason, gee, I wonder what that could be.

So it has become a damned-if-you-do or damned-if-you-don't proposition. I'd love to attribute this to ignorance on the behalf of the hardware manufacturer, but they seem to be usually pretty deliberate about
things.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]