FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a Resolve grading system

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janne Laiho
Building a Resolve grading system
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:46:07 pm

Hello,

here's a most basic question: I have a Mac Pro 2013, and I use Resolve for grading. I understand that regular computer monitors don't give me a "true" image. My question is: what are the different pieces of hardware (reasonable price, not top end) that I need and that are compatible to be able to view colour accurate output for grading (1080p is enough)?

I guess this would be a broadcast monitor, proper output from the Mac (converter?). Anything else?

I'm thinking Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini to HP Dreamcolor - would this work?

Cheers
Janne

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Building a Resolve grading system
on Dec 8, 2014 at 11:54:46 pm

This is discussed at length in the current episode of The Coloristos podcast:

http://coloristos.podomatic.com

The episode is "Displays 2" and is available for free on iTunes and on the site. My personal take is that the Dreamcolor is not up to the task, but many monitors can work provided they can be calibrated.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Building a Resolve grading system
on Feb 23, 2015 at 5:24:50 pm

Dreamcolor monitors are now ancient technology, and they were never easy to setup and Calibrate unless you worked at Dreamworks and had their technical team on your team. If you really want to do the job right, get yourself a pre-calibrated broadcast monitor (Flanders is my fav) or get a good LCD that can be professionally calibrated.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]