FORUMS: list search recent posts

Da Vinci Understanding Each Cut As A Separate Clip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Saville
Da Vinci Understanding Each Cut As A Separate Clip
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:21:33 pm

Hi,

I am very new at Da Vinci, so please excuse me if I sound a bit dumb. When I imported my clips to Da Vinci, each cut of the same clip was treated as if it were its own clip. So when I applied one grade to someone talking, cut away to a different shot, then return to the same shot it would be without a grade. ie My grades were'nt applying to the whole clip - only each individual cut. I manually copied all the grades and finally have my finished project ready to export, but when I export, it exports each cut as its own separate clip again!(So the clips it exports are like 2/3 seconds long each - fast cuts because it's a music video). PLEASE can someone tell me how to tell premiere that several cuts belong to the same clip?? I'm using the latest version of Da Vinci (11). Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a rather urgent issue. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Da Vinci Understanding Each Cut As A Separate Clip
on Nov 21, 2014 at 5:59:36 pm

[Amy Saville] "PLEASE can someone tell me how to tell premiere that several cuts belong to the same clip??"

This is actually normal behaviour for a round trip.

There used to be an operating practice in the first few versions of Resolve that would tie each instance of a clip on a timeline to a version on a "Master Timeline" -- the so-called 'use remote grade' approach. We used to have to separate each recurring instance of a trim if we wanted to apply a different version or treatment -- to "Use Local". The Master Timeline no longer exists in an overt form (but we suspect it is still there in the background).

Resolve does need to isolate cuts as separate events so that grades can be applied independently. If you want to apply a universal grade or grades to a group, there is a strategy for that -- In fact, three levels are available for "pre-clip", "clip" and "post-clip." However, on delivery, Resolve will still render every event as if it were an independent clip, and from that point on, it is new media and is not related to your original source clip other than by some common metadata like timecode.

Premiere is really re-connecting the new unique files (that Resolve has created) to those event positions on the original edit timeline. Your color corrected material is *no longer* part of a larger, longer source clip.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]