FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMPC 4K Raw Workflow Ideas?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Murray
BMPC 4K Raw Workflow Ideas?
on Jul 20, 2014 at 1:19:56 am

Running some tests on a BMPC 4k Raw vs Prores 4k with film curve and the Raw definitely handles highlights up to 1-2 stops at same exposure. I updated the CUDA driver and then loaded the clips into Resolve 11 beta 2 and the Raw files are so huge they won't play faster than a very steppy 2-3fps. As soon as NR is applied, the GPU memory full crash occurs. Funny as my system can handle Red RD3 4K, albeit slow, but fine for my applications. My system has been fine until now, 2011 12 core with a GTX480 and maxed out ram. The 4K Prores files run fine, a bit choppy but workable. Consulting the Davinci white paper and they are suggesting a new $12000. Apple CPU and some other upgrades. Any suggestions on a workflow workaround that would allow me to take advantage of the extra latitude from the Raw such as a flat transcode timeline? Thanks. Joe

Joe Murray
Directors Guild Of America-Director
Int'l Cinematographers Guild -Director of Photography
http://www.nativesonsfilms.com

Return to posts index

Frank Wit
Re: BMPC 4K Raw Workflow Ideas?
on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:07:11 pm

HI Joe,
Running a Hack here with a quad core i7 @ 3.5 gHz. 24 GB ram
Problems with 4K BMCC RAW in combination with a GTX580 1.5 GB, lockups. slow playback) fine for HD...
swapped the card for a 6GB GTX 780 (around $ 575)
running 25 fps without any trouble, ....over a 10 gig ethernet SAN doing max 700 MB/s.

tried to run BMCC RAW from 2 striped internal HDD's doing 240MB/s reads... still choppy!
You really need fast disks and some more GPU mem..

I am talking a less than 2200 U$ Hackintosh here... so a 12000 U$ maybe the ultimate solution, but definitely not necessary
to run 4K BMCC RAW.

My 2 cents..
Frank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]