FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU card in slot5

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paulson lang
GPU card in slot5
on Jul 3, 2014 at 5:24:42 am

Hi,
Can i put a GPU card in slot 5 for asus motherboard? Y i confused is in the function box it is showing "do not connect".

Thanks
PL

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: GPU card in slot5
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:46:45 pm

I know slot 5 on the newest z820 is needed for the thunderbolt adapter, and is wired to a separate chipset because of that. This might be why they are saying not to use it?

The newest config guide doesn't have any restrictions on the asus motherboard for resolve 11.

http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/docs/DaVinci_Resolve_Wi...

Glenn

Return to posts index

paulson lang
on Jul 8, 2014 at 3:26:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I waited for this reolve 11 config guide and now i am about to start the process of building a work station on the asus motherboard. But somebody suggested DELL R7610 work station(because of dual processor e5-2600 series). What do u suggest is R7610 good for resolve or shall i stick with the config guide(p9*79e-ws)?

Thanks
PL

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:59:52 pm

Sorry, can't comment on those boards. I have a dual processor z820.

I would be careful going away from the config guide if you are doing a DIY box. The guide is there for a reason. For the Dell, you would have to make sure you understand how the slots are divided up for the sharing of resources. Just because you have six slots, doesn't mean you can use them all for anything you want.

Do a lot of research. Read the boards manual. It will usually be pretty clear what can and can't be plugged in at the same time.

Glenn

Return to posts index

paulson lang
on Jul 8, 2014 at 5:28:19 pm

how is the performance of z820. Ru getting real time playback with RED footage? which graphic cards u r using and how many?

Thanks
PL

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 10, 2014 at 2:05:24 pm

My box goes through a few different configs, depending on the type and size of project I'm working on. I use it with Avid DS mostly, as well as Media composer and resolve.

I have had two graphics card in it, K4000 and gtx 780?..not sure about the exact model. That gave me real time red at half res good.

Just remember it isn't all about the graphics card. Ram, and storage play a role as well. Fast storage is a must in my experience. As well, for most red work, I don't need to be at full premium unless I'm looking at a particularly noisy shot. Other wise I keep the resolution lower until its time to render.

For the most part though, I love the z820. Totally customizable, which for me is a must. Add in thunderbolt from all the shooters who forget that not everyone is on a mac, and its great.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]