FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere footage conformed to 23.976 importing as 29.97

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Carrithers
Premiere footage conformed to 23.976 importing as 29.97
on May 22, 2014 at 7:46:59 pm

Hello,

I have a project I'm trying to import into Davinci Resolve Lite from Premiere. It has several dolly shots I shot at 29.97 and conformed in premiere to 23.976 using the interpret footage option because I like the effect. When I export the XML and import that into Davinci the interpreted footage comes in at 29.97 with the wrong in and out points. I've tried changing a few of the project settings and a few of the import settings but the results are the same. Is there a way to send 29.97 footage, interpreted at 23.976 and edited in a 23.976 sequence in premiere, to Davinic Resolve Lite and maintain the 23.976 frame rate and in and out points.

I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance.

John

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Premiere footage conformed to 23.976 importing as 29.97
on May 28, 2014 at 1:59:49 pm

have you tried creating a 23.98 project in resolve and not having the xml "automatically adjust project settings" on import.

Also if you bring in a native 23.98 shot before you bring in anything else, that will lock your project to that format.

I'm not a premiere user, so I'm not sure what it is doing when you do the interpretation, but if the source media is 29.97, I'm assuming you are going to have to force Resolve to work with it, or output a baked quicktime out of Premiere at 23.98 and work with that.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 2, 2014 at 3:54:52 pm

[John Carrithers] "I shot at 29.97 and conformed in premiere to 23.976 using the interpret footage option "

I assume your source footage is still 29.97, probably because whatever Premiere interprets it as won't mean that Resolve will see it the same way -- especially if it is a kind of filter that is not supported by the XML import. Out of curiousity, are you converting the 2997 clip to play 1:1 in real time as if it were shot at 23.98, or are you slowing the 2997 footage so that it plays at 80%? IOW, playing the thirty frames at 24 frames per second for a "slo-ish motion?"

If you want it to be 23.98, then render the clips the way Premiere is presenting them to you and reimbed them so that Resolve sees the same 29.97 ---> 23.98 conversion and the color app will see the media as proper 23.98 on the 23.98 timeline. This is in reality the only bulletproof workflow for differing frame rates.

The reason for the incorrect pickup points is the same as it has always been. All media embedded in the Media Pool is assumed to have the same frame rate (the project setting) if you don't specifically set up a mixed-frame-rate project. The application simply counts frames at the project rate to sort out where the In/Out points are.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Carrithers
on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:08:27 pm

Hi Joseph,

Premiere can conform 29.97 footage at the project level. It doesn't render any new frames or require transcoding. It just takes the frames in the 29.97 and plays them back at 23.976. It's just metadata. I use to use cinematools when I was on FCP to do the same thing. It would just change the metadata and not require any encoding. Cinematools would do it at the file level instead of a project level like PPro is doing. I suppose that might work.

I can export the conformed clips to a standalone clip as a QT or image sequence, but I was trying to figure out a way to avoid that. I might try CinemaTools (if I still have a copy) to conform at the Finder level before importing into premiere. If that doesn't work, I'll export my 29.97 clips as stand alone 23.976 clips.

Thanks again,
John

Return to posts index

Paul Carlin
on Jun 3, 2014 at 11:20:44 pm

Take the 29.97 into After Effects and render it out as a dpx image sequence. Image sequences don't have "embedded" frame rates.

Import the image sequence into your Premiere 23.976 project and make sure it is interpreted as 23.976. Resolve should have no problem doing the same as long as your Resolve project is 23.976 as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]