FORUMS: list search recent posts

GUI card in expansion box not in mac pro?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laco Gaal
GUI card in expansion box not in mac pro?
on Mar 22, 2014 at 11:23:45 am

can I put the GUI card in the expansion box? I know that the configuration says that it should be in the Mac Pro,
but I'm thinking of buying an expansion box, because I don't want to overload the PSU.

thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: GUI card in expansion box not in mac pro?
on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:25:07 pm

If you follow the orthodox installation, Slot 1 is where the software engineers want to see it. Its where most OS boots want to see it. If it isn't the weakest GPU in your card mix, why isn't it? Also assuming that you will be eventually installing more GPUs in the expansion box... be aware that sharing the buss will choke the GPU performance to the slowest card.

Evcen if you don't use an expansion chassis, flipping the hierarchy between slots may start inspiring some flaky behaviour with the rest of your software complement, simply because applications need to re-think their internal routing. One of my machines has a Titan GTX in slot one because its a double-wide card (and of course it remains unconnected to any external monitors) with the GUI -- a 4000, in Slot 2. It gets worse, because the Titan only runs under the Mountain LIon boot, and then if I flip back into Snow Leopard, sometimes the poor thing gets confused. And people want to flip the DVI cable into the slot 1 card... eventually you end up with a system that only you understand, like the messy office where ony you can find things.... and... then you can't.

Personally, I hate going off the script. Improv usually gets you "Lost" in the southern IO.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: GUI card in expansion box not in mac pro?
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:49:28 am

thanks Joe, that helped in a lot of things:

- I should find a GUI card that can be in the Mac Pro, doesn't need as much power as the current GTX570.
- and I shouldn't put the GTX570 and the Titan together in the exp box.

Thanks Joe, you're helpful as always. (btw we can make that GT6 race happen sometime:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]