FORUMS: list search recent posts

DECK LINK AND P9x79 build

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davis
DECK LINK AND P9x79 build
on Mar 18, 2014 at 9:48:01 am

Just wondering if anyone can help me sort out which PCI slot on the Asus p9x9 motherboard I can put My decklink mini Monitor card in without crippling the performance of my machine. I just built this

Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard
3.2GHz Intel i7 3930K 6-core CPU
32GB RAM
nVidia Quadro K4000 for GUI (at true x16 lanes)
nVidia GTX770 4GB for GPU (at true x16 lanes)
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

I have a decklink card that I need to put in and so far from what I've gathered I need to make sure the Decklink is in the slot which doesn't slow down the 2 GPU PCI slots. I am not sure which exact slot number that is.

I've been following this build forum for a year or so and I know a few guys have similar builds and there is a particular slot that the Decklink card can be in and one slot that wrecks havoc on the entire systems performance.

If one of the veterans could give a rookie some guidance it would be immensely appreciated.
thank You

I also have fire-wire card I'm putting into the machine for my M-audio interface.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: DECK LINK AND P9x79 build
on Mar 18, 2014 at 2:03:32 pm

Use a USB 3 based Decklink card, or lose the GUI card, and use the single GPU for both GUI and compute.

Return to posts index

Sean Davis
on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:02:53 pm

on the black magic forum you said and I quote
"Make sure the Decklink is in the slot which doesn't slow down the 2 GPU PCI slots. I can't recall which exact slot number that is, but there is one slot which doesn't share the lanes"

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6688

so I'm a bit confused here mate, When I look up the blackmagic USB3 cards all I find is post of people complaining about it not working, So please expounds because it appears that you're giving 2 contradicting answers. I have not opened the motherboard so at this point with this level of contradiction I'm considering returning the motherboard
thanks
Sean Davis

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:33:26 am

From the manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-PRO/E8037_P9X79_PRO.pdf
page 2-14

Slot No. - Slot Description
1 - PCIe 3.0 x16_1 slot (single at x16)
2 - PCIe 2.0 x1_1 slot
3 - PCIe 3.0 x16_2 slot (triple at x16 / x8 / x8 mode)
4 - PCIe 3.0 x16_3 slot (at x8 mode)
5 - PCIe 3.0 x16_4 slot (dual at x16 / x16 mode)
6 - PCIe 2.0 x1_2 slot

1 - GUI card
2 - Firewire card
3 - DO NOT USE (else it will affect slots 1 and 5)
4 - Decklink
5 - CUDA card
6 - Blocked by slot 5

Return to posts index

Sean Davis
on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:28:37 am

THANKS MATE
I was just about to return this ASUS p9x79 mother board and roll the dice on a Gigabyte GA-x79-up4
this saves me loads of trouble.
My next question is about the decklink mini monitor since there isn't a lot of info online about people using this card for resolve. I got it so that I can go HDMI out to my NEC grading monitor (via HDMI to DVI adapter) and then use the HDSDI Out to go to my Panasonic plasma monitor (HDSDI TO HDMI)
Will this work out on the Decklink Mini monitor?
I also have a Decklink SDI card, but I would have to use the
Black-magic Design HDLink Pro DVI
For this to work, overall these are just temporary solution since I'm working in 2k/1080p at the moment, I know I'll eventually have to commit to a decklink 4k card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]