FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance issues Resolve Lite 10.1.1

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stepan Ko
Performance issues Resolve Lite 10.1.1
on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:52:54 pm

Hello All

Been having several issues with performance in resolve was wondering if anyone could comment on this.

1st Situation:

Music video 40 seconds long. Shot on 5d mark2. 3 video tracks. 3 cross dissolves. One of the video tracks is a single clip keyframed to change opacity (thank you Blackmagic for the ability to keyframe this stuff in new resolve) whilst on Screen blending mode. From time to time the second track also changes opacity. Playback is 7-8 fps in places where there is a cross dissolve and some keyframes. Speeds up to about 20 when gets to a clean place with no transitions and keyframes. Dies back down once gets to a transition or an opacity change. Tried both having the media on server (speed of server 110.8 MB/s write 110.4 MB/s read according to blackmagic speed test with a 5gb file) and having it on desktop (Hard drive speed 138.1 MB/s write 134.8 read again according to BM speed test with a 5gb file). During playback CPU is working at 20% GPU from time to time goes up to 20% then dies down to 0 (figures according to atMonitor) hard drive read activity doesn't go over 6MB/s read (figures according to Activity Monitor)

2nd Situation:
Rendering 4K 16 bit RAW Sony f55 clip into prores4444 HD to desktop. Speed of render is is 15.5 fps. Again tried both rendering with the RAW on the server and relocating the RAW on the desktop. From server: CPU usage around 60% GPU around 40% VRAM around 50% (figures according to atMonitor). When i begin the render the read speed from the server (according to activity monitor) spikes to 75-80 MB/s, stays there for 2-5 seconds then goes down to about 5MB/s and crawls like that up to the end. Write speed onto the harddrive is around 20MB/s through the whole render. When the RAW is on the desktop all figures are the same apart from Harddrive read speed which is around 60MB/s through the whole render.

I just can't acknowledge what is going on. Nothing seems to be working on it's limit (at least nothing that can be measured by activity monitors) yet the system is still slow as hell. Is this how it's supposed to be or am I missing something? I understand that possibly these two situations don't have anything in common and different bottlenecks effect the system and I am happy to invest into the system but want to do it wisely. Thanks for your input!

Sorry for the novel guys! Thanks for your input!

Stepan

System:
Davinci Lite 10.1.1
Mac OS 10.8.5
GPU for GUI Geforce GT 120
for Image processing Evga GTX 680 2gb mac edition
48 gb RAM
3.33 GHz 6 core Intel Xeon
One Harddrive 5400rpm 2TB

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Performance issues Resolve Lite 10.1.1
on Feb 19, 2014 at 4:26:00 am

First situation: get out of h264

Second situation: your single gtx680 needs more gpu ram, and more gpus. RAW debayer is pretty taxing.

Overall faster drives would help as would a dual CPU config.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Stepan Ko
on Feb 19, 2014 at 8:43:50 am

Hello!

Right! Thanks for that. Didn't think there would be a problem of this sort with h264. Any idea why the activity monitors are not showing much? Surely then the Vram and Gpu indications should be going crazy, but they are in the middle or even less than middle? Or should I not trust them?

All the best

Stepan

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:42:36 pm

Lots of factors. Threading for one.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Bruno Amaral
on May 26, 2014 at 2:22:10 pm

Hi Juan,

I just installed my 2010 12 core 2.66ghz Macpro with a Titan Black and FSP Booster X5.
I'm only getting 10fps playback ungraded footage in Davinci Resolve Lite. When I install the GT120 in slot 2 of my Macpro and have the GUI display connected to the Titan Black, same playback of ungraded footage goes up to 24fps. Do you know why is this?

The problem is that when I have the 2 cards (Titan Black + GT120), if I connect the GUI Display to the Titan I get nice playback fps, and very slow GT120 processing. If I connect GUI display to GT120 I have slow playback fps (10fps for ungraded footage) and fast processing. And if I have just the Titan Black for GUI and Processing I still have slow fps playback (10fps for ungraded footage).

Do you know what am I doing wrong??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bruno

Bruno A.

Check my work at kalapastudio.com

Return to posts index

Bruno Amaral
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:18:41 pm

Anyone can help?
Now I have only the Titan Black installed in my 2010 2,66ghz 12 Core Macpro with 24GB RAM, Davinci is using the Titan Black on PCIe Slot 1 for both GUI and Processing. I'm only getting 5fps rendering and playback 1 node with Auto Color Correction. I'm using a DUAL SSD with a Sonnet Tempo Pro wich gives me almost 1GB /s read write speeds.

I really don't understand why Resolve Lite is so slow! Could it be because I'm using the Lite version??

Please help!!

b

Bruno A.

Check my work at kalapastudio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]