FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just bought BMCC and learning Resolve 10 - slow as molasses

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Peterson
Just bought BMCC and learning Resolve 10 - slow as molasses
on Jan 18, 2014 at 4:36:16 pm

Gosh, I picked a fine time to jump in and try to learn Resolve. I just bought a Black Magic Cinema Camera. I'm finding the performance in Resolve very slow. When I make a color adjustment, it takes several seconds to see the results on the monitor or scopes. ...not a workable solution. I've read many threads and I suspect it's because I am running Mavericks 10.9.1 which apparently is not recommended right now due to a conflict with GPUs. Still, I'm so new to all of this, there could be any number of things I'm doing wrong.

Here's some specs:
2008 Mac Pro - model 3.1 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB ram
OSX 10.9.1
ATI HD5770
Atto R680 (6 drives in RAID 5 and 2 drives RAID 1)
Atto H680 (LTO 5 tape backup)
Intensity Pro - allows me to ingest the occasional DVD or VHS.

Within Resolve:
GPU Processing Mode - OpenCL (crashes if set to anything else)

OK, now for the newby questions -
1. My graphics card is not nvidia. Is this a problem? I gather Resolve 9 required CUDA GPU processing, but Resolve 10 now enables openCL? Which is better?
2. If I get an nvidia card, which one? Where would I put it (slots full)? Bump the intensity capture card, or H680 I guess... and is it a waste because it won't work with mavericks anyway.
3. I upgraded to 10.9 a few weeks ago because it was required for the Final Cut Pro X 10.1 upgrade which I've grown to really like. I do have a cloned boot drive with 10.8, but I would have to sort out media to the old library structure for FCPX. What are my options if I want to stay with Mavericks and learn Resolve 10?
4. Are there settings within resolve that would improve performance for those of us on older machines? I read something about 8-bit monitoring instead of 10?
5. Would money be best spent on the new Mac Pro instead of nursing this old machine along?

The thought of migrating to thunderbolt storage from SAS, a new mac pro and properly outfitting this new camera is making me think I don't get paid enough.

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
Re: Just bought BMCC and learning Resolve 10 - slow as molasses
on Jan 23, 2014 at 9:08:42 am

Well, I'm running Resolve on a 3 year old Windows machine and it runs ok. So I guess the problem is in your system. Not Resolve.

Return to posts index

Craig Peterson
Re: Just bought BMCC and learning Resolve 10 - slow as molasses
on Feb 2, 2014 at 8:50:11 pm

OK, I learned a few things. I installed a Radeon HD 7970 Graphics card in the mac pro (mavericks 10.9.1) and it's still stuttering. Disabling audio in Resolve makes it play smoothly.

I found an old cloned boot drive and found Resolve runs super great in ML 10.8.5 with audio enabled. Over 30 fps. Problem is, I've already converted a bunch of FCPX 10.1 libraries. Looks like I'll be going back to ML with the next project.

Anybody else getting Davinci Resolve to work on Mavericks? It's got to work for the new Mac Pro, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]