FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow question for Resolve AE Premier Pro and Mocha

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stepan Ko
Workflow question for Resolve AE Premier Pro and Mocha
on Jan 11, 2014 at 11:05:31 am

Hello Cow

I am grading a small fashion video for internet. The footage is sony f55 raw, which will be sent to davinci then to AE Mocha for some skin retouching done on the closeup shots then to After Effects for some green screen compositing and some CGi elements to be dropped in and then back into resolve for some final tweaks. The question that I have is what is the best format to go with to get the most quality and compatibility across all those programs and to avoid a headache of relinking all of that in Premier Pro? Is prores 4444 enough for something like this? Will the quality not drop considerably when it is going to be saved and over saved again and again every single step of the way?

I understand that this being made for web my make things easier cause you can afford to lose some quality but I also want to learn for the future how to deals with this properly, when only top quality end result would be accepted?

Appreciate everyones help!

Stepan

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
Re: Workflow question for Resolve AE Premier Pro and Mocha
on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:17:36 am

there are like always several approaches possible...

but i would say prores4x4 is fine, even considering various generations. in my experience you
don't really see a degradation, but if you zoom in and focus on a specific part of a frame you
might be able to see that the "grain" differs somehow on the second generation, on a pixelbasis though.
that's why they call it visually lossless i think. never had a realworld degradation when going threw vfx.

and prores is resolution-independant, so you can still leave resolution intact.

and you can consider doing a base-grade to avoid throwing some black or white info away f-stopwise,
or go the log way.

just my fast two cents!

andy

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:58:11 pm

If you are worried about render passes (which i don't think i would be worried about 3 passes on 444 footage), you can probably eliminate a few.

You mention Mocha for skin touchups. What is your process for this? You are going to track the face in mocha, but are you using mocha as a paint tool? I would assume you would track the shot in mocha, send the tracking info to your composite program (AE?) and do the actual face fixes there. You don't need to export footage out of Mocha in this scenario, just the numbers, so that would save a pass.

I would be tempted to do any final "tweaks" in after effects, or what ever composite program you choose, rather than send it back to resolve. Thats the whole idea of a composite program, otherwise you are tweaking comps that are no longer split out into layers...tougher to tweak. Also makes client driven last minute changes easier to deal with.

I love Resolve, but i'm not finding it to be the end of my pipeline just yet, but as i stated off the top, i wouldn't be too worried about 3 passes on 444 footage.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Stepan Ko
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:44:23 pm

Thanks for the answers guys! Very much appreciated!

Glenn, the problem is that the retouching in mocha is being done by another person. I don't really know it (not an excuse, looks like time to learn). I think there are some problems with tracking in it but actually doing the retouching in after effects. Either our actual software versions don't support such workflow or something else. I will see if there is a possibility to get rid of one of the passes this way.

Andy I think we're going to try and do 80% of grading in the base grade in resolve, then make the correcting in mocha then bring in some already corrected CG in after effects and possibly finish in after effects with some minor adjustments in case there are some inconsistencies.

So just a question for the future: if I was to deliver for broadcast, for example, would this method still be viable or would I need to look into using a truly lossless format? Don't have much experience so don't know what the right tools are for the job...

All the best

Stepan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]