FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color then encode NOT in timeline

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
Color then encode NOT in timeline
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:26:30 pm

It seems as though the only way to color clips is to have them in the timeline. Is there something that I am missing here. I would like to color my RAW clips and then encode them for editing in FCPX.

I understand that I can add them all to the timeline, edit as I scroll through and then export as induvidual clips. But I would prefer to have the clips organized as thumbnails in the media bin as that will make it easier to choose which ones I actually want. ALSO, and this is a BIG also. I would like to copy and paste the coloration attributes from one clip to another. As far as I know this is not possible.
Any thoughts as well as workflow recommendations?

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Color then encode NOT in timeline
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:05:44 am

Hi Adam, I think you need to work your way through the manual.

You can view clips in thumbnails, add the ones you want to a timeline, then in the colour page grade them. Even copy grades from one or two clips prior with a single keyboard shortcut, or copy from any clip.

You need to do this in the colour page as there are multiple ways and tools to grade so you need to have the correct one selected.

Then render the clips on the deliver page to ProRes. Use the FCP preset. All this detail is in the manual, including a tutorial. I can also recommend one of the many online classes available, such as Warrens on FXPHD.
Peter

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:37:44 pm

I have worked through the manual as well as the online classes (both of which don't always touch on work-arounds or alternate methods) . The workflow that you recommended is obviously my current workflow as it is the only workflow available. I'm apologize if I wasn't more clear in my post. I was simply looking to see if others had different workflows

For example, with FC7 and FCPX you are able to copy attributes of a single clip and then batch copy those attributes over one, some or all of the other clips on the timeline. Yes, there are a lot of options in resolve and yes most clips have different attributes, but when you set up your shots to maintain consistent exposure, color etc (and when you set up your shots to be takes rather a majority of throwaways) then one would want a complete batch feature and has no need to choose clips to put in a timeline to then export. I want to color all the clips; a timeline is for editing.

I will continue to watch how-to's, and reference the manual. But when there is a conversational topic that I think could be prevalent to the community I think that it is a good idea to post so that the information (yes or no) is out there. I will post again if I find out anything relating to this topic.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:41:54 pm

Thanks for your follow up explanation Adam. I understand now that you are looking for a different workflow than the one we have in Resolve today, maybe with a single page interface. We will keep that in mine when reviewing feature requests priorities for new development.
Peter

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:13:09 pm

It's not a completely different workflow. More one that bypasses the timeline. A great quick workflow for me would be: add media to project bin, star and or tag media within bin (by viewing thumbnails, grade clips, copy that grade to relevant clips (each graded clip marked as graded), select clips that I want exported and then export.

It is basically the same within the addition of batch copy/paste grading. Don't get me wrong, the software is great. Stabilization built in and the speed in which is works? Revolutionary; is motion tracking in the works? A lot of people would love to not have to go into after effects until it's time to pay someone else to...

I could go on about what would make something a 9 out of 10 (as nothing is perfect), but it seems, more so then other companies, like Blackmagic is heading that way. Thanks for the responses

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 18, 2013 at 11:51:53 pm

[adam chesbrough] " is motion tracking in the works?"

There is a motion tracker and stabilizer built in to the software presently, but the tracker is intended to direct color correction windows/shapes, but not necessarily as a plate compositing solution. You can export tracking data to a certain extent, to other clips -- most of us do that to introduce frame weave for "hand held" treatments.

Most of your click-and-correct approach is probably achievable with creative groupings, and the slide-table display, if you really, really, really don't want to look at a timeline. Were this a post-production, rather than a pre-grade, a C-sort might help, too.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]