FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture/Playback Cards with new Mac Pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Gaiero
Capture/Playback Cards with new Mac Pro
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:37:42 pm

Hey ya'll

With the new Mac Pro releasing soon, I'm wondering about i/o devices as there's no room for internal cards. Will BMD Capture cards be phased out in favor of the Ultrastudio boxes? If so, does anyone have experience using an Ultrastudio Express to Playback 4K footage? Can Thunderbolt drive 4K out to a grading monitor without sync issues, glitches, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
Re: Capture/Playback Cards with new Mac Pro
on Oct 4, 2013 at 6:57:09 pm

I don't see them phasing out non-thunderbolt adapters... There are plenty of people who prefer pci-e expansion on other platforms.

Return to posts index

Shawn Gaiero
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:18:27 pm

True. But to connect an external chassis to your mac pro you'd still be using Thunderbolt to get it to the capture card. I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is: are there any problems playing back 4k footage from a mac pro to capture card via Thunderbolt?

I've read that even Thunderbolt 2 is significantly slower than PCIe 3.

Anyone using the Ultrastudio 4k or Decklink Extreme 4k in a chassis for playing back 4k footage?

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:31:14 pm

Thunderbolt 2 is slower than PCIE-3. I am sure that if BM sales a TB product as 4K compatible, it is. I however have no experience with it! :)

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:49:48 pm

Thunderbolt 2 is 20Gbits/sec or 2.5GB/s

PCI-E Gen 2 is 512MB/s per lane

Thunderbolt 2 = PCI-E Gen 2 5X bandwidth

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Eric Fiegehen
on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:10:00 pm

Thunderbolt 2 = 20Gbps bidirectional
PCIe Gen2 x4 = 20Gbps bidirectional
PCIe Gen3 x4 = 40Gbps bidirectional
PCIe Gen2 x8 = 40Gbps bidirectional
PCIe Gen3 x8 = 80Gbps bidirectional
PCIe Gen2 x16 = 80Gbps bidirectional
PCIe Gen3 x16 = 160Gps bidirectional

Therefore, the Thunderbolt 2 controller / interface should produce performance numbers similar to a PCIe Gen2 x4 interface.

Eric Fiegehen
Director, Visualization & GPU Compute Solutions
Cubix Corporation
ericc@cubix.com
http://www.cubix.com

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:03:11 pm

Yes that's what is listed for PCI-E 2.0 4x. However if you do the math 20Gbits is 2.5Gbytes and not 2Gbytes.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Eric Fiegehen
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:15:32 pm

You are correct sir! Forgive my brain-fart. We (Cubix) generally talk internally about PCIe bandwidth performance specs in Gbits per second, but you are absolutely correct in calling it 2.5GB/second, which also equals 20Gbps.

Eric

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:28:51 pm

Believe me I have always wondered about it myself. I have seen some sites list Gen 2 x4 correctly at 16Gbits and 2Gbytes and others 20Gbits and 2 Gbytes and as of yet I have found no explanation why.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Eric Fiegehen
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:45:16 pm

The difference in specs you're referring to may be a difference in perspective - where you (more specifically, a component) are located relative to the PCIe bridges or switches. I'll check on it and get back to you with any definitive response from my engineers.

Eric

Return to posts index

Shawn Gaiero
on Oct 26, 2013 at 2:03:16 pm

If TB2 is 20Gb/sec, is that fast enough for 4k storage? Is Thunderbolt 2 RAID fast enough for grading 4k R3D in real time assuming there are no bottlenecks elsewhere?

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:19:00 pm

Yes 20Gbit/s is fast enough for 4K DPX if half the bandwidth is left available by other devices or R3D regardless of the devices attached. The problem is more to do with latency than bandwidth with other devices chained. Every device added to the controller increases latency. When you add that latency to other latency points especially with the GPU acceleration pipeline then realtime applications such as editors and compositors will have issues if the total latency for the pipeline exceeds what the player can handle. This is where the application troubleshooting is going to get very complicated very quickly.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:40:07 pm

Found out in another forum that the spec listing is based off of 8bits for data and 2 for overhead. So the bit rate is listed at 8+2.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]