FORUMS: list search recent posts

Artist Color doesn't attach to Resolve or any application

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
Artist Color doesn't attach to Resolve or any application
on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:22:32 pm

Artist Color w/ latest firmware on iMac 2012 27" w/ 10.8.4 - I started my system this morning and the panel doesn't work. The display stays on the dotted rectangles. The surface is recognized and adds correctly under EuControl Settings / Surfaces, but it won't assign to ANY app. Under Assign, Layouts, or Soft Keys the "Application:" is always blank.

I already tried EuCon 2.7.1 and 3.0.0 with Resolve 9.1.4 and 9.1.6 respectively, restarts, no change. Tried the disable-reopen-enable-reopen process in Resolve. Tried panel power cycles too.

Surface is direct-attached to the Mac with static IP (this is a portable DIT configuration).

I understand that the manufacturer - Avid - wants $60 for a support case??

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
Re: Artist Color doesn't attach to Resolve or any application
on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:19:53 pm

If you get the rectangles on the display, that does indicate that Eucon sees the panel. And you say you see it in Surfaces. If you select the Workstations tab in Eucontrol Settings, do you see your computer in the All Workstations list? And assuming you do, has it been added to the My Workstations list? Once it is, that should be all you need to do to have Resolve see the panel. Any Resolve 9 version should see it with Eucon 2.7.1, but only Resolve 9.1.5 and 9.1.6 will see it with Eucon 3.0 installed. Also make sure there are no other systems on your network with Eucon installed that may be connecting to the panel.

Once you have Eucon showing your PC in the My Workstations list, and you have the rectangles on the panel display, start Resolve and see what happens. What should normally happen is that as soon as Resolve is launched, you should see Resolve menus appear on the panel. If you don't see that, login and change Prefs to no panel, save Prefs, exit Resolve and restart. Login, change Prefs to the Avid panel, save Prefs, exit Resolve and restart Resolve. You should see panel menus appear.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:36:35 pm

when I rolled back from Eucon 3.0 to 2.7.1, I, first, uninstalled v3.0. I wonder if you can install 2.7.1 over the top of 3.0?

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:16:25 pm

Hi Dwaine,
Indeed my computer didn't show up at all in the Workstations tab (in either list). Turns out I had to restart MC_Client which is the (undocumented) client-side component. I also had Pomfort Livegrade listed as a MIDI connection in EuCon's system preferences pane, so I cleared that too.

I was able to get the surface working with everything on the computer - except Resolve. I got the rectangles, and Surfaces and Workstations tabs in Eucon were good, but the Resolve menus never appeared on the panel. I went through the process you described several times, with no effect.

Of course this was driving me mad, and of course the issue would go away once I try it tomorrow not on-set... but I'll return with updates either way.

Return to posts index

Yoram Tal
on Sep 11, 2013 at 4:46:27 am

3.0 will only work with resolve 9.1.6 just fyi

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Sep 12, 2013 at 8:45:13 pm

Please see this regarding Resolve Lite 9.1.6 and Avid Artist panel issue: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/364/2258

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:55:58 pm

Thanks, Dwaine. I just got back around to follow through on the issue, testing it at the office, and it persists. Everyone reminded me that EuCon 3.0 goes along with 9.1.6 but I should've clarified that I tried to correct pairings, EuCon 2.7.1 with Resolve 9.1.4 and and 3.0.0 with 9.1.6.

So it took a week, but I'm glad I found out I wasn't crazy :-) I hope this will be fixed in Resolve Lite 9.1.7!

BTW, I found another bug in EuCon (incl. 3.0.0): normally, EuCon should detect any application switch, so EuCon would target the currently active (focused) application. You can see this is the last 3 tabs in Eucon, where "assign:" changes as you switch apps.
However I experienced EuCon often getting stuck on the app that was active as it was initializing, and not targeting anything else. In my case it appears to be linked to network conflicts such as two interfaces on the same subnets - or if the EuCon is visible to the Mac but not via the primary (top) network interface. The solution is to quite and relaunch EuCon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]