FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raid for DaVinci

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Raid for DaVinci
on Jun 27, 2013 at 6:21:03 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to get a raid/server, but the ones recommended in the configuration guide are either a) not being made any more or b) made for a large business of many people. Are there smaller units that have a better price tag? It would be great to know what people are using out there.

Thanks!

PS Is the 1GB speeds only for 4k material? I don't use that very often, more ProRes Material, but I'd like to be able to have the option of going up to 2k, and 10 bit, for sure.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: Raid for DaVinci
on Jun 27, 2013 at 7:33:58 pm

In my experience, it doesn't matter for standard grading. If you get real-time playback in your NLE, then your RAID is fast enough for grading.

An exception to this is the Render Cache. Resolve will render DPX files into the cache so you can speed up playback on systems with low GPU processing. This is great for my home system, which has a single GTX570 card. Since the cache is DPX, you will need about 250-300MB/s write/read speed for 1080 material. on my Mac Pro, i put four 2TB drives in the four bays and put them in a software RAID0. I get 350-450MB/s, so it works great. If i had more GPUs, I wouldn't need this cache. My office system doesn't have a cache.

now, if you're talking about a server (you wrote "raid/server"), that's different.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

William Edwards
Re: Raid for DaVinci
on Jun 27, 2013 at 8:23:46 pm

Hi Eric,

Yeah I'm looking for a small home 'server', separate of the computer housing, that is set up for RAID0.

My internal computer has Raid0 of SSD's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]