FORUMS: list search recent posts

Autosave, now I have read the manual I am really confused

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Autosave, now I have read the manual I am really confused
on May 21, 2013 at 11:40:39 pm

OK, the my 'List Backups' is empty on Auto Save panel so I had a look at manual, now I am really confused;). What does this actually mean? I am afraid my previous 15 years in IT (some of this spend writing user guides) has not helped me understand it. The manual entry is below:

"Auto Save
DaVinci Resolveā€™s Autosave feature can save you from the heartache of lost work resulting from an unexpected problem.

Automatically save project: Enables auto saving. There are three options.
* Off: Disables auto saving.
* On: Emulates a manual save, incrementally saving the current project. This is faster than the next option, and suitable for use during a grading timeline.
* To backup project: Saves a full alternate copy of the active database while you work. While this full backup takes longer than the simpler incremental autosave option, it offers a complete backup, and is often used by colorists at the end of each workday or grading timeline.
* Every: Lets you define how frequently to execute the selected autosave behavior.
* List Backups: Shows a window listing all auto saved backup projects. This list can be sorted by name, date modified, width, or height. Buttons running along the bottom provide an interface to Load or Delete any item in the list, Delete all, or Refresh the list. When you load an autosave backup, the current project is lost, and completely replaced by the autosaved project. You are recommended to export the project first, before loading, if you want to preserve the current state of the project."

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Autosave, now I have read the manual I am really confused
on May 22, 2013 at 11:50:41 am

Perhaps the source of ambiguity for you is that Autosave is not active by default.

You do have to turn it on, and the list of options govern its behaviour while it is operating.

eg Save every... is the dialogue that sets how often a full or updated, progressive cache of the project is set aside. For you to have no backups in your list means that you have not been autosaving, or the interval is Never.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on May 22, 2013 at 11:10:24 pm

I realise it is not on by default, the bit that really throughout me was

I am trying to work out what the practical difference is between 'On' and 'To backup project'. Can I use both to retreve a project if resolve crashes.

Also if I just turn it on how often does it save. Or are they both set by the drop-down?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on May 26, 2013 at 12:58:00 pm

When its on, it's just like you reaching for the save button on the panels and pushing with your finger.... The same physical project file gets an incremental update.

Saving to a backup project saves a complete new file, which then becomes the default for the next save......
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]