FORUMS: list search recent posts

Database - moving project from one system to another

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronen Pestes
Database - moving project from one system to another
on May 16, 2013 at 5:39:31 am

I have a project that is going to be graded in one location/system and finished in another location/system (big theater for review).

what will be the preferred way of moving the project:
1. Export the project from local DB to a hard drive and re-import into the other location
2. work with disk DB, store it with the media files and connect in the new location.

any advantages or drawbacks of one way over the other. Or any other suggestion how to handle this?

Ronen

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
Re: Database - moving project from one system to another
on May 18, 2013 at 5:12:45 am

I had one bad experience doing this, and one good experience.

The good one was when the project was being graded off of external hard drives, so all I had to do was export the project (File:Export Project) & get the drives to the new guy. He imported my project file and had minimal trouble getting it up & running.

The bad experience, from months previous, was when I had to copy the media from my internal storage to an external drive and the new guy had me send him a backup of my database itself, but he never thought to ask for the project file. I don't know if that makes a difference, or something got confused because of how the media was structured (the whole project was kind of a mess to begin with), but he couldn't get the media to link up properly. Long story short, things didn't work out well at all.

I think, and hopefully someone with more technical experience will agree, that even if you copy the media to a new drive it should go well if you provide the finishing location with the project file. But do it a couple days before so you'll have time to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]