FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Resolve Set-Up - iMac? Windows machine?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Basic Resolve Set-Up - iMac? Windows machine?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:58:34 pm

Xeon Tower 2 x 2.4GHz
32G RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Red Rocket (driver 1.4.15.0, firmware 1.1.15.4)
Media on LaCie 4bigs via eSATA card (also tested via FW800)

Cutting media is all ProRes.

Orig media varies from 5K Red Epic down to GoPro and H264 HD (probably 8-12 different formats).

This is a basic question, but as far as I can search, Blackmagic is listing only hardware from mid-2012 and older as certified.

I'm looking into a basic Resolve set-up, primarily for conform to deliver to a full Resolve set-up for colour and final work. So only basic playback is required, and there will be no colour work done on the system.

I'm considering upgrading the OS on the tower to 10.8 and using that (an option I don't like, as I'm currently mid project in FCP7 and unsure about how firmware might be affected). Second option would be a low end (or high end) iMac of current models.

Anyone with thoughts or experience with current iMacs?

Any suggestions on a Windows machine that might be a good fit?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Basic Resolve Set-Up - iMac? Windows machine?
on Apr 7, 2013 at 11:26:16 am

if you are not doing anything sophisticated, but really only cycling the project to essentially troubleshoot it, then really almost anything (within the recommended guideline) will work. Many of us are still running the application under Snow Leopard, but I have to admit that 10.8 might be in the near future for one of my systems, now that there is a somewhat better alternative to the Q4000. The problem with that is that the Mac 680 is a double wide and won't go in Slot 2.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:41:26 pm

Joseph,

Thanks.

I am asking because I had the impression that it is slightly finicky with graphics cards - I have a tower with 10.6.8 and a 5770 that it won't read RED media on, and it wasn't running on newish laptops with integrated graphics, and I looked at blackmagis's configuration recommendations but they seemed to be from last year (not including Apple's latest models).

So I was just asking. Likely we'll see more info as 10 rolls out.

I am assuming pretty much any of the current crop of iMacs would work (to varying degrees of "work").

Franz.

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:43:16 pm

If there's no need to write out prores media you could probably build/buy a Windows rig s lot cheaper and more powerful than an iMac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]