FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arri Raw workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
Arri Raw workflow
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:58:41 pm

I am about to do a job which will be shot on the Arri Alexa in Raw 2k format. I am used to just getting ProRes444 but for whatever reasons they are insisting they shoot in the Raw 2k format..this is a spot for broadcast and of course they will first want 1080 ProRes files to be made for the offline editor to cut with.

I want to know best practices here for not only doing the transcodes quickly and correctly in Resolve but also once its time to grade how best to go back to the Raw and do things properly.

From what I have read, it seems I can just add all of the raw files into the media pool and in the master timeline just do a track mode grade by applying a LUT - quick and easy way to get something decent for the edit.

Next I am assuming I will get an xml and offline quicktime to conform with and then just reconnect to the Raw files and grade with a LUT as a starting point (as I usually do). One thing I have never done is adjust any raw settings with Alexa because I have only ever gotten the 1080ProRes444 files. I would like to get some advice / feedback about best practices if possible as I have only adjusted Raw setting with RED material and even then I am just setting it to Redcolor3, Gamma3 and RedLog Film. When it comes to Arri Raw I have no idea how to approach compared to the 444 Alexa files.

In that this is for 1080 I imagine I will set the xml to come in a fit to fit and then if they want to change any scaling or re-adjust I can do that on a shot by shot basis? Any info on this aspect of the workflow would be great as well.

Thank you

Return to posts index

andrew smith
Re: Arri Raw workflow
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:30:49 pm

anyone?? Would love to get some feedback as the job starts today :/
I downloaded some test arri raw footage and playback seemed fine but want to know more about workflow.
thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]