FORUMS: list search recent posts

GTX 570 for single card Mac Pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Archie Fenwick
GTX 570 for single card Mac Pro
on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:22:40 pm

Since I can't seem to find any specific information on whether I can get realtime performance from a single card setup on Resolve 9 at 1080 I've decided to go for it anyway as I can't possibly afford a PCI expander.

What the Mac config guide recommends for a single card setup is a GTX 570 (2.5GB) but when I look online I can only find the lower spec ones (1.25GB). If I can't get hold of one of these cards these days what would be a good alternative?

Also, I understand that I can use a PC version of a CUDA card if I am using Mountain Lion. Is this right?

My system is a Quad 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion, Decklink and RAID.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: GTX 570 for single card Mac Pro
on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:56:06 pm

It's based on the number of nodes. i typically only use 1-2 nodes per shot, and i'm able to get real-time playback on my home system (GTX570 2.5GB) and my work system (GTX580) at 24fps and 30fps. when i add more nodes, it definitely goes down. but for my "fast" grades from ProRes sources, it works great. it works even better if you turn the audio off.

look at the 600 series cards. similar or faster performance while using less power.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:39:38 am

Make sure you have the optimized option in the video monitoring turned ON, and it will help a lot with the single GPU performance.

Return to posts index

Archie Fenwick
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:09:19 am

Great, thanks for the info. I guess if I decide the performance isn't good enough for what I need then I could always use the GTX in a second slot and use a primary GUI card such as I have at the moment (ATI RADEON HD 5770).

Would this generally be a better idea - if I could fit them all in?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:17:20 pm

[Archie Fenwick] "Would this generally be a better idea - if I could fit them all in?"

Haven't you seen those silly AT&T ads about how "more" and "faster" and doing more than one thing at a time is better?

It is. And I wish I was human again.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]