FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spyder4TV HD

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
Spyder4TV HD
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43:16 pm

Anyone have experience dialing in colors for their HDTV using the Spyder4TV HD?

Wondering if I should pick it up.

Thanks, J

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Spyder4TV HD
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:20:13 pm

[Jordan Mena] "dialing in colors for their HDTV using the Spyder4TV HD?"

From PC World review:

"If you're hoping for extensive calibration that will get your HDTV to match ISF standards, the Spyder4TV HD will disappoint you. It walks you through basic color temperature, saturation, and tint adjustments, but you won't get guidance for any advanced color settings, like the six individual channel adjustments found on Sharp HDTVs, for example. Considering it's a $130 consumer calibration puck, and not a $15,000 chromameter run by a trained HDTV calibrator who spends four hours adjusting your screen, that's understandable."

Their conclusion is that its just a little better than eye-balling it... the use of consumer-level screens for grade has been discussed to death, plasma being nice to look at, but unstable. Generally, these spyders don't have the 'integration' capabilities required to characterize a display, so you are never going to get a 3D LUT out of it. Your choice. I would never use an HDTV for judgement. I got my home Samsung 42" pretty close with no probes or anything, but first you have to shut off all the "juice" settings that the manufacturer dials in for showroom flash. But I've also been shading and grading, professionally, for 37 years.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:59:42 pm

Yeah, I understand. It's tuff when you want to get going on grading but don't have the funds (yet) for a broadcast monitor. So, do I look at the Spyder 4Elite with the added HD TV calibration over the regular Spyder4HDTV device. That comes close to almost $400? Is it worth it?

Thanks, J

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:35:20 pm

if I'm reading the product spec correctly, all the Elite version does that the HD version does not is match settings between several monitors, which would be valuable if you had a grade farm set up, and can do a rough set up on a front-projection, which I don't think you're interested in.

There is an "expert" mode, but having much beyond a 709 colorspace target seems like unnecessary expense.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]