FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stills Vs. Memories

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
Stills Vs. Memories
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:44:18 pm

I wanted to ask a proficient Davinci artist how they use their Stills vs. Their saved Memories. I want to understand the best workflow for managing and applying grades during the course of a project. I'm guessing using the stills you're saving looks you like and memories are used for"Hero" looks. Am I wrong? Would love to get a better understanding of a nice workflow in managing grades.

Thanks,J

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Stills Vs. Memories
on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:27:11 pm

I think it's a bit up to taste. I use memories as a working space to pull grades from. And stills as a way to grab reference images and also for less important grades, or grades that I might want to pull a node from, but not the whole grade.

I use powergrades to store my "looks".

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:02:07 pm

[Juan Salvo] "I think it's a bit up to taste."

Might also be a difference with which control panel you're using-- if you have more direct access to either the stills or memories, then there may be a speed bump (up or down, I can't say). I rarely use memories at all instead picking either from stills or the timeline, whichever is handier.

I sort of miss the macro [-][2][copy][preview] for "he said, she said" camera cuts, but auto link takes care of that, except for when it doesn't work and you have to disconnect the clip in favour of a local.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:40:04 am

So say you are working on an A Camera B Camera type show and you like what you did with camera A. You save it as a still and apply to all the other shots down your timeline. Then the client comes in and decides that he wants to tweek camera A. Once you have something the client likes what's the best and least time consuming way for now updating all those other shots?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34:34 pm

If you mean 'apply the new correction to all the shots that it was previously applied to', it would have been better to link them with some kind of signifier, like a flag, or to have separated them out onto different layers... created a group, those sorts of approaches...

The physical reality of grading a project over the span of the project is that one specific correction is unlikely to take care of every occurrence of a clip or situation, and is, to a certain extent, the dangerous part of linked clips. If you start tweaking at one end, it is more probable that different tweaks will likely be required as the show progresses -- it is almost a law of diminishing return that the closer you are to having a uniform grade, the more obvious the small differences will become, necessitating tweaking the tweaks. Its what happens in any grade session. More often if you are charging a flat rate.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]