10 bit grading with Resolve using a mac

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Wilton
10 bit grading with Resolve using a mac
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:41:18 pm

Hi there,

Im a bit of a rookie at this, but here goes -

Im interested in grading 10bit footage on a 10bit grading monitor, using resolve on a macbook pro or an iMac.

Is it true though that all mac products output a 8bit signal through their thunderbolt and/or HDMI out? Would that negate the chance of viewing the 10bit footage as 10bit (and not as 8bit)?

As an alternative is it possible to output a 10bit signal directly from a graphics card in a Mac or PC tower?

thanks for your help,

Rob Wilton

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: 10 bit grading with Resolve using a mac
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:16:01 pm

Hi Rob,

In the case of either the iMac or the MacBookPro, you would want to use the thunderbolt (maybe USB 3.0?) connections to connect to a video interface device, like Blackmagic's Ultrastudio 3D or Mini Monitor. You can't rely on the GUI for any kind of critical picture evaluations.

I haven't seen it in action, but the new Mini Monitor seems to give you a 10-bit SDI and 10-bit HDMI from Resolve. Not sure if it's supported yet, but that would be the cheapest option.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Rob Wilton
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:33:29 pm

Thanks for your reply KC.

Yeah Im definitely getting a monitoring interface box.

Im still curious whether the thunderbolt out on my mac will allow me to send 10bit across, or if that is even an issue.

Rob

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 11, 2013 at 6:31:59 pm

The thunderbolt interface isn't acting as a video io. It's an extension of your computer bus, like putting a card in your tower, so it's not limited by GUI issues.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]