FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fast computer low fps?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Fast computer low fps?
on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:44:51 am

I get under 10fps in resolve with 4k r3d files even with halv res good and no effects applied.

Supermicro 7047A-T workstation inkl:
2 x 3.1 GHz 8-core Xeon E5-2687W
8 x 8 GB DDR3 ECC reg 1600 MHz, Samsung
240 GB SSD, Intel 520
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB, PhysX Cuda
240 GB SSD for os
internal raid with 523mb/s write and 531mb/s read

I must have set some funky settings in resolve. I know I only have one graphic card in it right now. Will add a gtx 690 or something later, but still.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Fast computer low fps?
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:19:05 pm

How does it play in Redcine-X?

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:17:49 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "I know I only have one graphic card in it right now"

That you're getting 10 fps is still doing surprisingly well. No red rocket, and no GPU other than the one that is also supporting the GUI?

You should see some gains with multiplying the CUDA-enabled cores with more cards.
I can get 24 fps with 4K RedOne RDC playback (3 GPUs plus the Q4000 GUI card) at quarter Res with no red rocket.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 1, 2013 at 8:04:19 pm

I dont think its a gpu issue since I dont even added a node and its low fps. Also the gpu meter dont go red.

Premiere works smooth at 1/2 with no dropped frames.

I have cuda 5.something installed but black magic recomend 4.5...(dont remember exact versions). Could this be a big issue?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 1, 2013 at 9:22:46 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "Could this be a big issue?"

I don't think so, but do remember that the processing pipeline between an editorial application and a correction app like Resolve is going to be extremely different. Premiere is only worried about playing it back. Resolve is preparing to change the value of every pixel, whether you change them or not.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Feb 3, 2013 at 9:45:36 am

I just checked this on the following configuration:

- Asus PC as spec'ed in the Windows Configuration Guide (single 6-core processor)
- GTX 570 card (used for both GUI + CUDA GPU)
- Decklink SDI
- Red Epic 5K
- Optimized playback option enabled in the Video monitoring

I can get 24fps playback at half-res. I do not have a Red Rocket card in the system, so just CPU based decode.

We will verify this again on the dual Intel E5 based Supermicro setup, but I don't expect any issues.

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 3, 2013 at 12:43:05 pm

Which motherboard do you have in the super micro server?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:26:56 am

Hi, we use the ones we spec in our config guides.
Peter

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:02:31 pm

There is alot that is using the x9dai so it should work fine. Will try the candle test tonight if i find a working xml version for resolve 9. Have a creativecow thread that should have the xml file.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:11:14 am

I did the candle test and I get realtime with 6 blur nodes (I deleted 2 from the 8 blur node version).

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:24:26 pm

As i understand it you dont have much use of the gpu in resolve until you adding colorcorrect nodes. It is the cpu that handles the r3d files. But perhaps im wrong. Would be great if some one with realtime could turn off all gpucards and use only one card for both ui and gpu. Best case would be a x9dai user with dual xeon. If you cant turn cards of and pull them out physicaly its a big favor to ask.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:00:19 am

This is the cpu load at 7fps in davinci (no grades). The loads pending from 16% to 28 and top to 33% sometimes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z3onqpokn...s_cpu_load.jpg

I se my motherboard is running the memory only att 1333hz instead of 1600hz. Perhaps this is part of the issue. But i think the cpu load should be more even right?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:08:18 am

not sure why the link gets bad.

This one is working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z3onqpoknba2qo/davinci_no_grades_7fps_cpu_load.j...

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:07:04 pm

Try turning off multi threading.

And just so you know you should be able to edit your post within a few minutes of posting it.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:20:19 pm

I have a question on davinci image scaling filter "Sharpest, smoother, billinear". Is this something that the graphic card will handle or cpu? I just reinstalled the system to verify that my gtx 680 wasnt working proper..started some days back to freak out. But I do some testing on a single quadro fx 580 while waiting on my 680 to be replaced.

After the new installation I get 18fps on halres good debayer with billinear filter on. My cpu load never go beyond 35%. For some reason I get little worse result with the "use optimize display mode during playback"
If I choose the default sharpest I get the 7-8fps with halfres good as before.

Using the billinear feature lets my cpus work more while using the sharpest option they work less..Whats going on, it suppose to be the opposite!

half res premium gives 18fps to with billinear? And the cpu works littel more (up to 60%).

Hopefully a proper working 680 will fix realtime after all. Im so tired of all troubleshoting...

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Andrei Savchuk
on Jun 23, 2013 at 12:40:15 pm

I also have this problem.
I build new workstation with asus z9pe-d8ws with xeon 2687w and also have only 16 fps in half rez.
My old workstation with 980x can play this red material 20-24 fps in half rez.
In my new workstation cpu load very low.
May be Resolve don't use multiple cpu for decode red?

http://icolorist.ru

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]