FORUMS: list search recent posts

Source Frame Rate weirdness

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Due
Source Frame Rate weirdness
on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:55:34 pm

I am working on a project that was originally edited on an Avid. It contains various frame rates: 23.976, 29.97, 30.

The editor provided an AAF and I am conforming on a timeline with the "Handle mixed frame rates" option selected.

Resolve rendered all the files to their respective frame rates, however
one of the media files is giving us trouble. When the editor imported the rendered files he noticed that one file was 24 fps. None of the footage was 24 - only 23.976. I opened the original source file in QT Pro and After Effects and they say 23.976 (not 24).

Resolve is reading this file as 24fps. Anyone else come across this? Is it an AAF problem? Is it Resolve misinterpreting the frame rate?

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT
DaVinci 9.0.3
OSX 10.7.5
MacPro 8-core 4,1 2.93 Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT120/GTX570 (CUDA 5.0.36)
Decklink Extreme3D+
Panny BT-LH1710P/ Panny BT-LH2600W
Tangent Wave

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Source Frame Rate weirdness
on Jan 15, 2013 at 11:43:13 pm

[Robert Due] "Resolve is reading this file as 24fps. Anyone else come across this?"

Alexis vH mentions some drawbacks of "Handle mixed framerates" in his tutorials. My own suspicion is that there are some bigger blind spots in this media handling strategy. I just finished a series in which almost every episode had a segment that failed to connect due to "extents" mismatch. However, I could hand-conform the offline clips and they always dropped into place frame-for-frame. One clue, maybe, is in the editing. These segments, music videos, were conformed with auxillary timecode, uh, matched to the click track played back to the performers... so it was really fake timecode, based on 48KHz. FCP was okay with that, but there are things that it is that Resolve ain't. Full Stop. My guess is that there wasn't really any time code associated with the exported clips at all, but a default synthetic frame count that simply masqueraded through the media manage and picked up the attributes of the sequence.
Bzzzzt. Offline.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]