FORUMS: list search recent posts

p7x79 motherboard configuration

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Coleman
p7x79 motherboard configuration
on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:26:28 pm

Hi,

I am currently running DaVinci Lite (hope to upgrade this year) on win7 with a p7x79 motherboard and a intel 3820k quad-core @3.6 Ghz and a single quadro 4000 for GUI and processing.

What I'd like to do is run the single width quadro as a dedicated GUI card and another GTX Card (680 or 690, can't find a GTX 570 anymore)for Image processing.
On top I will need a Raid controller Card and a Decklink Card for SDI Monitoring. (Although the USB 3.0 Ultrastudio is an option, though no 4:4:4 on that)

I've read through the config manual for windows, but the x16, x8 stuff really confuses me, so does someone here run a similar config and give me advice for for my upgrade plans? Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
Re: p7x79 motherboard configuration
on Jan 12, 2013 at 7:31:50 am

You mean P9X79, not P7X79? I assume Quadro 4000 would be great as a gui card for that board. If you can find GTX 580 with 4GB vram, that would rock for image processing. Or the 680/690 (I don't know how the 690 runs with Resolve as it's a dual gpu card..?) Anyway, get a GPU with the max amount of vram.

I wouldn't get a Decklink card for that config, you may run out of PCI-E lanes, especially if you want to have a raid card. Get the Ultrastudio SDI instead.

If you are going to grade RED material, or just want more out of your system, I'd recommend upgrading your CPU to 3930K or 3990X. And at least 12 GB ram.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Coleman
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:51:05 pm

Timo,

thanks for the insight, I am afraid you are right about the decklink card and the pci lanes. Do I understand correctly that by using the ultrastudio sdi usb3.0 device with a grading panel it will stress out my quadro 4000 a lot more? Was thinking of buying that first, as I think proper Monitoring is more mission critical than Real-time... at the moment i get 25fps on Alexa Footage (ProRes 4x4) with about 6 nodes.

Luckily I got an excellent deal on some proper Ram (64GB!!) a year ago.
Still speculating on that 8-core i7 from Intel, but that 3930k looks like a sweet option. About the GPU. looks like the 680 for Image Processing... but all these toys cost money... ;-)

Thanks again
Cheers

Return to posts index

Nicholas Coleman
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:54:34 pm

and of course I mean P9X79, not P7X79.
Sorry, my bad.

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:01:58 pm

Hi Nicholas,

Using the Ultrastudio SDI USB 3 video card versus a Decklink 3D Extreme is about the same performance-vice. Using a USB 3 card with a grading panel is not an issue with the Ultrastudio, and the biggest difference compared to a Decklink card is that you don't get 4:4:4 or 2K output. Personally I don't have need for those anyway..

If you have the Q4000, get the GTX 580 or GTX 680 for image processing, and you'll have real-time performance with a lot of nodes, even without the CPU upgrade. I have a 4-core i7 2600K CPU on my other PC, and it's real-time with HD material until up to about 15 nodes.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Coleman
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:27:46 pm

Hi Timo,

thanks again for your reply, the usb 3.0 ultrastuido just arrived and i have been using it successfully with resolve. I do have one issue though with audio... I understand the device can output audio via sdi and hdmi, but i cannot monitor audio from the grading panel that i am using at the moment, since it doesn't allow me to loop the signal through. How are you monitoring audio with your ultrastudio setup?

cheers Nicholas

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jan 27, 2013 at 10:16:30 pm

Hi,

I get audio output via HDMI to the plasma monitor that I'm using. But I'm not getting audio output all the time, and it sometimes just cuts off in the middle of a clip. The same thing with the Decklink card (via HDMI).. the audio monitoring needs some improvements, I guess. Audio rendering works perfectly for me.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:44:55 am

Focus on getting TWO GPUs for the machine. You cannot double up display functionality with image processing. Quadro 4000 is good for the GUI, the card in slot one. I would suggest, the GTX 580 "Classified" version for the processing card. Lots of people having issues with Decklink cards in this mix, so as it has already been suggested go with the USB 3.0 route for your video capture. The graphics drivers and the motherboard do the work to control fan speed so you don't have to worry too much about noise. I got a big "silent" cooler for the CPU. The machine is very quiet with just that one special cooler. I expected the GTX 580 to sound like a jet engine but it is quiet.

Don't overthink it but do read through the Windows Configuration guide that you will find along side the installer for Resolve Lite on the BM site. It is all there and they have updated it within the past 6 months so it is current.

-Andrew Stone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]